I am disassembling an exe file trying to find out how some parts of it work so we can make an easier modification then the current system works (which is just copy and overwriting files). I found some functions in there that refer to a MPGameSetupPage.cpp (which obv i can't access) and some references to some .xml files (which is what I am trying to access) and cannot seem to find the files in any directory. So i am assuming they are built into the EXE. My question is how can i edit these .xml files inside the exe? I need to change some strings around so it loads a different set of files compared to the original set.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

>> So i am assuming they are built into the EXE

I doubt it. I've never heard of such a thing. An executable is just machine code, isn't it?

It has machine code in it, in those machine codes spell out this

'M'

'P'

'G'

'a'

'm'

'e'

'S'

'e'

't'

'u'

'p'

'.'

'x'

'm'

'l'

But when searching for that file i cant find it :S

use a hex editor to change it and save exe.

I am trying to locate the xml file. I know how to use a hex editor to change it....

It has machine code in it, in those machine codes spell out this

That makes sense.

But when searching for that file i cant find it :S

I still think it's an external file somewhere. Perhaps it's an external file you don't possess, in which case, if the program needs it, you're out of luck.

However, just because that string exists in a C++ program, it doesn't necessarily mean that you need the file to run it. Do you have any idea what this program is supposed to do? Perhaps it's simply displaying that filename as a string and there's no need to open it. Perhaps there's some "Help" menu that says something like "If you don't like the game's defaults, you can create a file called MPGameSetupPage.xml and override them." Or perhaps it's a file on a remote server that the program communicates via sockets or HTML posts or whatever. It could also be WRITING to a file with that name, not reading from it, in which case the file not existing might not be problematic.

Not knowing anything about the program, I could go on forever making conjectures, but I sincerely doubt the file is embedded in the exe file. I've never heard of that, which doesn't mean I'm not wrong.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.