Hello guys, I really need help with this one. Can you please help me create a program in Python that displays information about a rectangle of any size.
Input: two mouse clicks for the opposite corners of a rectangle
Output: Draw the rectangle. Print the perimeter and area of the rectangle
Formulas: Area = (length)(width)
Perimeter =2(length+width)

Please help I just started using Python,

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

We can help you if you make a start on the code to show your commited to your project :)
I would recommend that you look into using a program called PyGame. Start of making some basic programs such as how to open a window with PyGame and then how to draw a rectangle. Then you can use PyGame to detect the mouse position and pass it to the functions. PyGame has some excellent documentation pages:
http://pygame.org/docs/

from graphics import *

def main():

win.setCoords(0.0, 0.0, 10.0, 10.0)
    message = Text (Point(5, 0.5), "Click on two points")
    message.draw(win)

#Get and draw 4 vertices of rectangle
    p1 = win.getMouse()
    p1.draw(win)
    p2 = win.getMouse()
    p2.draw(win)
    p3 = win.getMouse()
    p3.draw(win)
    p4 = win.getMouse()
    p4.draw(win)

# Used Polygon object to draw the rectangle
    rectangle = Polygon(p1, p2, p3, p4)
    rectangle.setFill("red")
    rectangle.setOutline("black")
    rectangle.draw(win)

# Wait for another click to exit
    message.setText("Click anywhere to exit.")
    win.getMouse()

main()

I have this but I dont know how to code it so that it works with only two clicks, 4 works but not 2.

I have this but I dont know how to code it so that it works with only two clicks, 4 works but not 2.

There is a line missing somewhere, such as

win = GraphWin("My Rectangle", 300, 300)

Apart from that, this is good python code

You can do it with 2 clicks if you realize that 2 points give you 2 values for x and 2 values for y. With these values, you can build 4 different points and draw the rectangle.

As this thread is 3 years old and Fo.katia is probably not waiting for an answer, you could write the complete running solution with 2 clicks in a code snippet. (select the type Code Snippet after you click Start a new discussion).

You can do it if the two points are at the ends of the diagonal.
See ...
http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/rectangle.html

If you use the Tkinter GUI toolkit, the two points you need to create a rectangle are the upper left corner and lower right corner.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.