This code highlights all instances of keywords in a JTextPane. I don't think it is very CPU efficient (it has three loops per LINE) It splits all the lines, creates a Matcher for each keyword, and iterates through those, which consequently means slow execution with larger files. The thread is called every time a key is released. This is the code:

private final Thread highlighter = new Thread() {

@Override
		public void run() {
			final String text = editor.getText();
			final StyledDocument doc = editor.getStyledDocument();
			final String[] lines = text.split("\n");
			int offset = 0;
			doc.setCharacterAttributes(0, text.length(),
					Constants.getDefaultStyle(), true);
			for (final String line : lines) {
				for (final String keyword : Tools.KEYWORDS) {
					final int length = keyword.length();
					final Matcher m = Pattern.compile(keyword).matcher(line);
					while (m.find()) {
						doc.setCharacterAttributes(offset + m.start(), length,
								Constants.getKeywordsStyle(), true);
					}
				}
				offset += line.length();
			}
		}

};

I was thinking of getting the line only that the caret is on, and do the above code only for when the user pastes text. Would that be a more efficient way?

P.S: When the user types a keyword, presses the delete (look below), the default style is the same as the keyword style, and I can't seem to stop this.

keyword |

**Backspace**

keyword|

**Starts typing again**

keyword non|

until the user presses space, then the statement of

doc.setCharacterAttributes(0, text.length(),
					Constants.getDefaultStyle(), true);

clears it.

Edited by Armanious: n/a

Contributors
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by VernonDozier

It does sound inefficient. If I'm typing in the entire text of Huck Finn and my keywords are "Huck" and "Jim" and I'm already on page 200 and I press a key, it doesn't make sense to parse 200 pages of text that I've already parsed (let's see 80 characters per line, 50 lines per page, 200 pages = 800,000. Anyone want to check my arithmetic?) 800,000 times. I've already found all the keywords on page 123 already.

>> I was thinking of getting the line only that the caret is on, and do the above code only for when the user pastes text. Would that be a more efficient way?

Sounds like a good idea to me! However, consider the fact that I still want all my keywords highlighted, I just don't want to bother having to parse them again, so make sure that when you start typing on a new line that all the old highlighted keywords don't disappear. I'm not assuming that they will or won't, just check to make sure.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.