Is there a way to gather network/internet traffic statistics?

The end result is that I need to create a random number generator using some network stats as a random seed, so I need to pull information that is highly variable. Could be packet data (maybe sequence numbers), or traffic data such as the inter-packet gap. Something that changes often.

This number would then be used as a seed for the random number generator.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jason

Recommended Answers

You can use (win)pcap to gather network data... it's probably a bit over-kill for your solution though.

If you're doing this on Linux, why not make use of /dev/random?
On Windows, why not use 'CryptGenRandom()'?

If you somehow don't want this, I think easier randomness can be obtained …

Jump to Post

There is a ton of randomness on the internet. You could ping some known website(s) and record to RTT with micro-second precision (which is what most ping programs will give you). That should be random enough for any purpose. Similarly, you can initiate a TCP dump and record the IP …

Jump to Post

Don't use the ping command.
Create a socket to a remote server. Write some data to the socket.Check how much time it takes for the server to respond.
The time difference can be your seed

Jump to Post

Timing can be done using gettimeofday .
If you want to connect to the outside network you need to provide an address to connect to (localhost is 127.0.0.1, you dont want that). I'd suggest trying to use a connection to google at …

Jump to Post

All 14 Replies

You can use (win)pcap to gather network data... it's probably a bit over-kill for your solution though.

If you're doing this on Linux, why not make use of /dev/random?
On Windows, why not use 'CryptGenRandom()'?

If you somehow don't want this, I think easier randomness can be obtained from mouse position/time between keystrokes etc. I believe this is even what Linux does, but don't pin me down on that.

Ok, I'll admit, this is for a school project. One of the requirements is to retrieve "randomness from the Internet". Basically I need to use network/Internet related traffic to generate a random seed.

I don't even know where/how to begin...

Thanks.

Jason

There is a ton of randomness on the internet. You could ping some known website(s) and record to RTT with micro-second precision (which is what most ping programs will give you). That should be random enough for any purpose. Similarly, you can initiate a TCP dump and record the IP packet's ID field of the "first" incoming packet. On a *nix machine, all you need to do is do a few system calls to "ping" or "tcpdump", and parse the output string or file redirection. That should be simple enough to do.

First, I should have mentioned this in my original post, this needs to be compiled and executed on Linux.

That said, I don't think Ping or tcpdump will really work because both need root access to run properly.

Don't use the ping command.
Create a socket to a remote server. Write some data to the socket.Check how much time it takes for the server to respond.
The time difference can be your seed

abhimanipal,

Ok, so I've got a client program created to go out and create a socket. I tested it with a server listener on my local host.

Now my questions are:

1) What port should I try to create a connection to on the Internet?
2) How do I go about timing the response?

Thanks.

Timing can be done using gettimeofday .
If you want to connect to the outside network you need to provide an address to connect to (localhost is 127.0.0.1, you dont want that). I'd suggest trying to use a connection to google at port 80 to download the search page.

Google may not be so random, try facebook :) Yes the HTTP protocol uses port 80.

Google may not be so random, try facebook :) Yes the HTTP protocol uses port 80.

Randomness, in this case, comes from the transaction times not the page content.

If you are going to run this on linux only, I think that the following should do the trick quite well (it works on my computer at least):

#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
  FILE* f_in = popen("ping www.google.com -D -c 4 | grep mdev", "r");

int rs1 = 0;
  int rs2 = 0;
  fscanf(f_in,"rtt min/avg/max/mdev = %d.%d",&rs1,&rs2);

pclose(f_in);

printf("obtained the following seed: %d.%d\n", rs1, rs2);

return 0;
};

I ran the code you had provided and it gave an error

$ ./test
ping: invalid option -- 'D'
Usage: ping [-LRUbdfnqrvVaA] [-c count] [-i interval] [-w deadline]
[-p pattern] [-s packetsize] [-t ttl] [-I interface or address]
[-M mtu discovery hint] [-S sndbuf]
[ -T timestamp option ] [ -Q tos ] [hop1 ...] destination
obtained the following seed: 0.0
$

remove the -D option

popen execute a command for you. You can run the command by hand to see what the output will be. So, you can copy and paste "ping [url]www.google.com[/url] -D -c 4 | grep mdev" to a terminal and play with it until you get the desired effect.

We are not sitting at your computer, you will have to experiment a bit if things dont work exactly.

Ok, so I think I've got the seed based on the response times from the socket.

Now I just found out that rand(), at least by itself isn't enough.

I'll post under a new topic.

Thank you all for your help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.