Hi,
sorry I have been trying to get my head around the simple concept of dll files what they are used for and please don't give me the answer that it is a dynamic link library that blah blah please not that answer that doesn't really tell me much :(
What I would like to know is if my understanding of a dll file is correct, if someone could say yay or nay that would be great :)
So,
what I get at so far is that lets say that I am developing a project and this project at the moment has a logger.cs that logs all the main procedures in the project, now when i compile it as it is it compiles everything into the single exe file, so from there is the a simple point of a dll to move code out of that single exe (or is there another way to do that), so i would go and create a logger.dll, so that ill have a the exe file that uses the methods and functions from the logger.dll, instead of it being compiled into the exe
Thanks,
Please if my understand is on the right line please let me know and any other details about dlls like that would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

is the a simple point of a dll to move code out of that single exe (or is there another way to do that), so i would go and create a logger.dll, so that ill have a the exe file that uses the methods and functions from the logger.dll, instead of it being compiled into the exe

Short answer: Yes. The main benefit of separating your logger from an executable project is that you can now share the logger between many projects without having to recompile the logger every single time.

Longer answer: In .NET-land, both the exectuable and the DLL are called "assemblies"--here are some pages that explain in more detail.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.