I understand this is not Java related, but since a lot of Java Developers out there use Netbeans as their IDE. I figured that I'll get help here easier.

Anyways, I downloaded Netbeans 7 (the full version), and tried installing it on Windows 7. The installer starts, and right after you accept the licencing agreement for JUnit and click the 'next' button, the installer stops and a file gets created in the same directory as the .exe for Netbeans that I launched.

The file is called 'hs_err_pid2156'... Bellow is some of the content of the file, but if you need to see more, just shout and I'll post the entire document.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x7591a86c, pid=2156, tid=3808
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.6.0-b105 mixed mode, sharing)
# Problematic frame:
# C [SHLWAPI.dll+0x1a86c]
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this and why does the installer just bomb out all of a sudden??
I also tried installing Netbeans 6.9 but the same thing happens. So I'm guessing that this is probably a Java problem rather than a Netbeans problem...

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I read up a bit more now and it seems like this is the Java Virtual Machine that is crashing... Still no idea why this is happening and how to fix it.

Thanks for your reply. It seems like I have all the hardware requirements that is needed for NB7.

Do you think that if I upgrade my JDK/JRE to the latest release it might solve the issue?

Do you think that if I upgrade my JDK/JRE to the latest release it might solve the issue?

It certainly can't do any harm, and you'll get the latest security and bug fixes. So yes, update.

kidding as JamesCherrill too, did you read that, be sure English isn't my 1st. language but I understood that correctly, no way, instalations prerequisities are ....

I wasn't kidding - the release notes say "The tested JDK for this release is JDK 6 Update 24".. They also say Win 7 Professional; I have no idea why they seem to exclude Win 7 Home Premium (I use Eclipse myself)

I quickly checked Dice.com to see how many jobs requested Netbeans experience and they are drastically lower than the amount of jobs asking for Eclipse experience... just some food for thought.

Eclipse and Netbeans has always been at eachothers necks. Eclipse is really nice, especially the fact that you can get plugins for virtually anything you need.

With Netbeans though, the selling point to me is that a GUI builder is already available on it, plus my company makes use only of Netbeans, so I don't have much of a choice in the matter.

I've worked on and off on both IDE's though and the look and feel for both is really similiar. If you only use Eclipse and you have to migrate to Netbeans, you'll be up and running in Netbeans probably under an hour.

I'm only speaking out of my limited experience on the matter and what i've found on working on them.

Netbeans is IDE for lazy coders who want everythings on board, there are (exclude exception) everything Auto, there are excelent Hints for code (for all implemented PL),

why Netbeans there were some bugs in Eclipse Compiler for Swing familly, in time when I choose between Eclipse and Netbeans (both has Custom Compiler)

sure Eclipse is better for Excelent Team Codings, that's not my ....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.