I am wondering whether it would be useful to close this thread an start a new one? This huge list, spanning 6 years and I don't know how many books cannot be useful, anymore?

To be on-topic: for beginners, I'd suggest to just google "programming c++ tutorial", you'll get many hits and it should help you get starting.

also have a look at wikibooks, they can always need improvements, and therefore proofreaders. eg: you!

Edited by Nick Evan: Added backlink, split from sticky thread

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by phoneybone

I think it would be more useful to talk (probably in another thread) about what characteristics make a C++ book useful and which books have those characteristics.

If people just post books they like, reading that post doesn't tell you much because you know nothing about who posted it.

I have split of these posts from the sticky since they do not contain any info about C++ books.
But a valid point was made here, so I went through the entire sticky and deleted about 50 posts with duplicate suggestions, offtopicness and signaturespam.
It's still 5 pages long but contains a lot of useful links to a lot of useful books. The C++ standard hasn't changed in the last few years, so all suggestions will stay valid until the new C++ standard is finally released. When that time comes, we'll have to review the thread again to see if it needs updating.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.