Hello,

I'm attempting to learn C through the K&R book and am having some trouble with Exercise 1-13 at the moment. I'm just attempting to do a simple horizontal graph and can't figure out why this isn't working correctly. It seems to be ignoring my first "if" statement and just counting spaces/new lines/tabs into the current array index. It never increases the index.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
	int c, i, j, k;
	int lword[20];

j = 0;

for(i = 0; i <= 20; ++i)
		lword[i] = 0;

while((c = getchar()) != EOF) {
		if(c != ' ' || c != '\t' || c != '\n')
			++lword[j];
		else
			++j;
	}

for(i = 0; i <= 20; ++i) {
		printf("lword[%d] = ", i);
		for(k=0; k <= lword[i]; ++k)
			putchar('|');
		printf("\n");
	}
}

Here's the typical result:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC>hellow
This is a test. One Two Three.
^Z
lword[0] = ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
lword[1] = |
lword[2] = |
lword[3] = |
lword[4] = |
lword[5] = |
lword[6] = |
lword[7] = |
lword[8] = |
lword[9] = |
lword[10] = |
lword[11] = |
lword[12] = |
lword[13] = |
lword[14] = |
lword[15] = |
lword[16] = |
lword[17] = |
lword[18] = |
lword[19] = |
lword[20] = |

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC>

How about a small description of the problem for the people who do not have the K & R text book ????

From the code you have written I guess you are trying to count the number of spaces / tabs / new line characters in a sentence ?
If yes then you have to store all the spaces at 1 particular index in the array lword . Similarly all the tabs have to be stored at 1 particular index

Ahh, thanks WaltP. It's funny how you miss these things when you've been staring at the problem for hours...

abhiminapal - Sorry, bad assumption on my part that folks here were familiar with it :)

The problem is: Write a program to print a histogram of the lengths of words in its input. It is easy to draw the histogram with the bars horizontal; a vertical orientation is more challenging.

I'll work on this some more and probably be back with more questions! Thanks for your help everyone.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.