Can someone please explain to me how the pointers were used in the line w/ the red font. I do not understand where the pointer pertains to and why there is still a need for that. Also why is it that a "+" sign was used to combine two array variables? ie: *(mpg+ctr). Thanks in advanced guys.

void main()
{
	char choice;

double miles[10] = {240.5, 300.0, 189.6, 310.6, 280.7, 216.9, 199.4, 160.3, 177.4, 192.3}; 

double gallons[10] = {10.3, 15.6, 8.7,14,16.3,15.7, 14.9, 10.7, 8.3, 8.4};

double mpg[10];

int ctr;

for(ctr=0;ctr<10;ctr++)

{

cout.setf(ios::fixed);
		cout.setf(ios::showpoint);
		cout.precision(2);

cout<<"Miles /"<<" Gallons = Mpg: "<<endl;

*(mpg+ctr) = *(miles+ctr) / *(gallons+ ctr);  

cout<<miles[ctr]<<" / "<<gallons[ctr]<<" = "<<mpg[ctr]<<endl;
		cout<<endl;

}
}
Contributors
Replies
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Ancient Dragon

>>*(mpg+ctr) = *(miles+ctr) / *(gallons+ ctr);

That's the same thing as this: mpg[ctr] = miles[ctr] / gallons[ctr]; Personally I do not like or use the pointer arithmetic as shown in your code snippet, but its just a matter of personal taste. IMO using the index method I show is a lot more clear what is going on, and of course requires little thinking about it. Programmers should write for clarity, not cuteness or an attempt to impress others.

Edited by Ancient Dragon: n/a

*(mpg+ctr) is basically the same as mpg[ctr] Tearing it apart:
mpg points to the array.
mpg+ctr points to the ctrth element in the array.
*(mpg+ctr) therefore is the value at the ctrth element

Ok Thats nice. I have read somewhere in my C book that if an array is used by just its name,i.e, mpg then it will return the address of its 0th element and hence :

mpg and *(mpg+i) will give you same values for a Loop.

But, there is also written in the book that i[mpg] will also return the same value.

Can you explain me that how i[mpg] can return the same value as mpg ?

[ Please See the attached Code of my book ]

Attachments pointer.png 40.82 KB

Can you explain me that how i[mpg] can return the same value as mpg?

Your book already explains it. mgp[i] becomes *(mpg + i) , and because addition is commutative you can change the order of the operands without affecting the result. Thus, i[mpg] is to mpg[i] as *(i + mpg) is to *(mpg + i) . It's basic math. :)

Votes + Comments
Thanks for resolving my confusion :)

Don't get hung up on the i[mgp] construct because its rarely, if ever, used in real life. In my 20+ years programming I've not seen it even once except in an academic text book.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.