I need help with my distance formula. pow is apparently not in cmath or math.h. Since I am a beginner in C++, I need some help with the distance. I did the floaters and everything, well I used a book. Beginning Math and Physics for Game Programmers by Wendy Stahler. I just dont get how to make the distance work. can anyone help me??

Thank You for your help guys. It means a lot to me. =)

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <algorithm>
#include <cmath>
#include <math.h>
#include <Windows.h>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
	int car1[3]; //Car 1 has 3 coordinates
	int car2[3]; //Car 2 has 3 coordinates

// Car 1's ( X, Y, Z ) Coordinates
	cout << "What is the X Coordinate of Car 1? ";
	cin >> car1[0];
	cout << endl;
	cout << "What is the Y Coordinate of Car 1? ";
	cin >> car1[1];
	cout << endl;
	cout << "What is the Z Coordinate of Car 1? ";
	cin >> car1[2];
	cout << endl;
	cout << "The coordinates of Car 1 are..." << " ( " << car1[0] << "," << car1[1] << "," << car1[2] << " )" << endl;
	cout << endl;

// Car 2's ( X, Y, Z ) Coordinates 
	cout << "What is the X Coordinate of Car 2? ";
	cin >> car2[0];
	cout << endl;
	cout << "What is the Y Coordinate of Car 2? ";
	cin >> car2[1];
	cout << endl;
	cout << "What is the Z Coordinate of Car 2? ";
	cin >> car2[2];
	cout << endl;
	cout << "The coordinates of Car 2 are..." << " ( " << car2[0] << "," << car2[1] << "," << car2[2] << " )" << endl;
	cout << endl;
	cout << "The Midpoint of Car's 1 and 2 is.... " << "( " << (car1[0] + car2[0]) /2 << ", " << (car1[1] + car2[1]) / 2 << ", " << (car1[2] + car2[2]) / 2 << " )" << endl; 
	cout << endl;

float DistanceofTwoCars(float *car1, float *car2);
	{
		cout << "The Distance between Car 1 and Car 2 is... " << endl;
		cout << endl;
		cout << "D = " << (float)sqrt(pow(car2[0] - car1[0], 2) + pow(car2[1] - car1[1], 2) + pow(car2[2] - car1[2], 2)) << endl;
	};

system("pause");
	return 0;
}

Recommended Answers

Looks fine to me. Use floats or doubles instead of integers since ints do not hold decimal places.

Jump to Post

There are some serious problems with your code. Here is a fix. I'll let someone explain it, because I don't have enough patience right now.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <algorithm>
#include <cmath>

using namespace std;

void DistanceofTwoCars(float *car1, float *car2){
	cout << "The Distance between Car …
Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

Looks fine to me. Use floats or doubles instead of integers since ints do not hold decimal places.

There are some serious problems with your code. Here is a fix. I'll let someone explain it, because I don't have enough patience right now.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <algorithm>
#include <cmath>

using namespace std;

void DistanceofTwoCars(float *car1, float *car2){
	cout << endl;
	cout << "D = " << (float)sqrt(pow(car2[0] - car1[0], 2.0f) + pow(car2[1] - car1[1], 2.0f) + pow(car2[2] - car1[2], 2.0f)) << endl;
}

int main()
{
	float car1[3]; //Car 1 has 3 coordinates
	float car2[3]; //Car 2 has 3 coordinates

// Car 1's ( X, Y, Z ) Coordinates
	cout << "What is the X Coordinate of Car 1? ";
	cin >> car1[0];
	cout << endl;
	cout << "What is the Y Coordinate of Car 1? ";
	cin >> car1[1];
	cout << endl;
	cout << "What is the Z Coordinate of Car 1? ";
	cin >> car1[2];
	cout << endl;
	cout << "The coordinates of Car 1 are..." << " ( " << car1[0] << "," << car1[1] << "," << car1[2] << " )" << endl;
	cout << endl;

// Car 2's ( X, Y, Z ) Coordinates 
	cout << "What is the X Coordinate of Car 2? ";
	cin >> car2[0];
	cout << endl;
	cout << "What is the Y Coordinate of Car 2? ";
	cin >> car2[1];
	cout << endl;
	cout << "What is the Z Coordinate of Car 2? ";
	cin >> car2[2];
	cout << endl;
	cout << "The coordinates of Car 2 are..." << " ( " << car2[0] << "," << car2[1] << "," << car2[2] << " )" << endl;
	cout << endl;
	cout << "The Midpoint of Car's 1 and 2 is.... " << "( " << (car1[0] + car2[0]) /2 << ", " << (car1[1] + car2[1]) / 2 << ", " << (car1[2] + car2[2]) / 2 << " )" << endl; 
	cout << endl;

DistanceofTwoCars(car1,car2);

return 0;
}
commented: Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate you helping me out. +0

Hahahahahaha!!!! You're kidding me. Wow. Thanks!

What firstPerson did was to change 2 to 2.0f which ias a floating point number. This is important because there is no pow(int, int) defined in the math library. For a list of the ways you can use pow() check this out.

What firstPerson did was to change 2 to 2.0f which ias a floating point number. This is important because there is no pow(int, int) defined in the math library. For a list of the ways you can use pow() check this out.

Not only that, but he had this inside main

float DistanceofTwoCars(float *car1, float *car2);
	{
		cout << endl;
		cout << "D = " << (float)sqrt(pow(car2[0] - car1[0], 2) + pow(car2[1] - car1[1], 2) + pow(car2[2] - car1[2], 2)) << endl;
	};
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.