Hi again everyone, Im running into big trouble with my compiler Dev-C++, every time i compile any project, whether it is 1 im working on, or a completely fresh 1 I get the same error every single time, I have been on the bloodshed forums and IRC channel but Im not getting anywhere with it...I am interested in working with Windows Programming in C/C++ at the moment and every project I try to compile gives the same error...

C:\Dev-Cpp\Current_Project\Makefile.win [Build Error]  [main.o] Error 1

and this is my compile log

Compiler: Default compiler
Building Makefile: "C:\Dev-Cpp\Current_Project\Makefile.win"
Executing  make...
make.exe -f "C:\Dev-Cpp\Current_Project\Makefile.win" all
g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ -c main.cpp -o main.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/include"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include"    -pg -g3

The system cannot find the path specified.

make.exe: *** [main.o] Error 1

Execution terminated

I have tried many times re-installing the program aswell as re-configuring it and installing with fresh configurations etc...nothing seems to work, I get the same error over and over again...anyone know why or how to overcome it ?

Recommended Answers

All 45 Replies

might be a dumb question -- but did you check your computer to see if those -I<path> paths actually exist?

Is C:\Dev-Cpp\bin in your path?

C:\Test\GnuC>path
PATH=C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;C;\icc\bin;C:\Dev-Cpp\bin;C:\BC5\BIN;C:\watcom\BINNT;C:\watcom\BINW;c:\Perl\bin;C:\Program Files\ActiveState Komodo 3.1\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\bin;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\;C:\Program Files\Autodesk\DWG TrueView\;..\tool;C:\Program Files\doxygen\bin;C:\Program Files\Subversion\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools\WinNT;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\IDE\IDE98;C:\Program Files\vslick\win;C:\NECTOOLS\BIN;..\tool;C:\COSMIC\EVAL08;c:\nectools32\bin;

Yes I have checked all of the paths and they all exist...this even happens when I compile a project from scratch..ie...

C:\Dev-Cpp\New_Project\Makefile.win [Build Error]  [main.o] Error 1 

Building Makefile: "C:\Dev-Cpp\New_Project\Makefile.win"
Executing  make...
make.exe -f "C:\Dev-Cpp\New_Project\Makefile.win" all
gcc.exe -c main.c -o main.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include"   

Execution terminated

Dave what do you mean by is C:\Dev-Cpp\bin in my path ? and what is all of that within the code box? I thought it may have come from command prompt or something like that so i tried typing...

C:\>path
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
C:\>

I dont have a clue what any of that is for, could you explain it? thanks.

I'm asking you what I think your make utility is asking you. Does it know where to look for g++?

The stuff in the box is a copy of my result when I execute the path command in a command shell. It is telling me that the path to g++ is indeed available to my system. Yours tells you this is not so.

When you install Dev-Cpp, do you need to reboot to update the path? (It's been so long since I've done this that I forget.)

>>When you install Dev-Cpp, do you need to reboot to update the path?

I think it depends on which version of Windows is running. W2K/XP, definitely not. Win95/98/ME, I'm not sure either (I never used ME)

Oh right...Im running windows xp professional with sp1, im never prompted to reboot or anything like that, it has always worked perfect until now, im continuously getting these errors...yes g++.exe is in the c:\Dev-Cpp\bin\ directory...do you have any suggestions on what i should do?

Add c:\Dev-Cpp\bin\ to your path. Reboot.

(But it does appear to find the make utility, which I would assume is in the same directory, so I'm reaching for straws.)

Add c:\Dev-Cpp\bin\ to your path. Reboot.

(But it does appear to find the make utility, which I would assume is in the same directory, so I'm reaching for straws.)

I use XP Pro too.

you might also check the length of the PATH environment variable. On my computer it's so long that there isn't any room left to add more. So I have a batch file to truncate the PATH to bare necessity so that I can run other command-line programs from command prompt.

Look at the end of the PATH as shown in command prompt -- if the last path isn't all there, then you probably have to same problem that I do.

you might also check the length of the PATH environment variable. On my computer it's so long that there isn't any room left to add more. So I have a batch file to truncate the PATH to bare necessity so that I can run other command-line programs from command prompt.

You can change this. I've forgotten how I did it, but I ran into the same problem. Increasing the enviroment size fixed it.

I think it's a parameter to command.com in config.sys.

this is probably not relivent to this thread -- but here is what I found in MSDN for environment variables

• The maximum individual environment variable size is 8192bytes.

• The maximum total environment variable size for all variables, which includes variable
names and the equal sign, is 65,536KB.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_shelloverview.mspx

Ah ok I will try to do that in a few moments once I find out how lol...but why isnt there lots of other .exe files (or directories) listed in path, I have many other applications installed...

That didnt work, but I dont think I did it correctly...how would i add that to path ?

I generally right-click My Computer, and select Properties to bring up the System Properties dialog. In the Advanced tab, click the Environment Variables... button. Then find the path variable and edit it. Alternatively, I think you can add it to the autoexec.bat which should be in the root directory.

You'll know you've done it correctly when you go to a command shell and type path, like you did earlier, and it now shows the d:\dev-cpp\bin as being part of the path.

Thanks, I have did that, It has been added to path successfully but Dev-C++ still doesnt work. I have rebooted as soon as i added C:\Dev-Cpp\bin; to path but the error is still the same...any mroe suggestions ?

What is the code in main.cpp, and where is main.cpp located?

This happens every single time i try to compile any project whether it would be a template given by Dev-C++ when creating a windows application or something I have been working on...I save all the files like the source, resource, header and all the files created by the compiler in the same directory, "C:\Dev-Cpp\" from which I create a another directory depending on what Im creating for example "C:\Dev-Cpp\New_Project" is where I have saved all the files of a brand new project...and here is what main.cpp contains...

#include <windows.h>

/*  Declare Windows procedure  */
LRESULT CALLBACK WindowProcedure (HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM);

/*  Make the class name into a global variable  */
char szClassName[ ] = "WindowsApp";

int WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hThisInstance,
                    HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
                    LPSTR lpszArgument,
                    int nFunsterStil)

{
    HWND hwnd;               /* This is the handle for our window */
    MSG messages;            /* Here messages to the application are saved */
    WNDCLASSEX wincl;        /* Data structure for the windowclass */

/* The Window structure */
    wincl.hInstance = hThisInstance;
    wincl.lpszClassName = szClassName;
    wincl.lpfnWndProc = WindowProcedure;      /* This function is called by windows */
    wincl.style = CS_DBLCLKS;                 /* Catch double-clicks */
    wincl.cbSize = sizeof (WNDCLASSEX);

/* Use default icon and mouse-pointer */
    wincl.hIcon = LoadIcon (NULL, IDI_APPLICATION);
    wincl.hIconSm = LoadIcon (NULL, IDI_APPLICATION);
    wincl.hCursor = LoadCursor (NULL, IDC_ARROW);
    wincl.lpszMenuName = NULL;                 /* No menu */
    wincl.cbClsExtra = 0;                      /* No extra bytes after the window class */
    wincl.cbWndExtra = 0;                      /* structure or the window instance */
    /* Use Windows's default color as the background of the window */
    wincl.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH) COLOR_BACKGROUND;

/* Register the window class, and if it fails quit the program */
    if (!RegisterClassEx (&wincl))
        return 0;

/* The class is registered, let's create the program*/
    hwnd = CreateWindowEx (
           0,                   /* Extended possibilites for variation */
           szClassName,         /* Classname */
           "Windows App",       /* Title Text */
           WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, /* default window */
           CW_USEDEFAULT,       /* Windows decides the position */
           CW_USEDEFAULT,       /* where the window ends up on the screen */
           544,                 /* The programs width */
           375,                 /* and height in pixels */
           HWND_DESKTOP,        /* The window is a child-window to desktop */
           NULL,                /* No menu */
           hThisInstance,       /* Program Instance handler */
           NULL                 /* No Window Creation data */
           );

/* Make the window visible on the screen */
    ShowWindow (hwnd, nFunsterStil);

/* Run the message loop. It will run until GetMessage() returns 0 */
    while (GetMessage (&messages, NULL, 0, 0))
    {
        /* Translate virtual-key messages into character messages */
        TranslateMessage(&messages);
        /* Send message to WindowProcedure */
        DispatchMessage(&messages);
    }

/* The program return-value is 0 - The value that PostQuitMessage() gave */
    return messages.wParam;
}

/*  This function is called by the Windows function DispatchMessage()  */

LRESULT CALLBACK WindowProcedure (HWND hwnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
    switch (message)                  /* handle the messages */
    {
        case WM_DESTROY:
            PostQuitMessage (0);       /* send a WM_QUIT to the message queue */
            break;
        default:                      /* for messages that we don't deal with */
            return DefWindowProc (hwnd, message, wParam, lParam);
    }

return 0;
}

Have you tried compiling using the command-line?

yes I have tried that, it doesnt work.

I save all the files like the source, resource, header and all the files created by the compiler in the same directory, "C:\Dev-Cpp\" from which I create a another directory depending on what Im creating for example "C:\Dev-Cpp\New_Project" is where I have saved all the files of a brand new project...and here is what main.cpp contains...

So you're saying that you are saving main.cpp in the compiler's home directory "C:\Dev-Cpp\"? First, that a practice I generally avoid. Though I doubt it's the problem here.

It looks to me that the make utility is not finding the source file. Could you post your makefile and .dev file? And state which directory these are in? And am I correct in understanding that you have main.cpp saved in "C:\Dev-Cpp\"?

Thanks, I have did that, It has been added to path successfully but Dev-C++ still doesnt work. I have rebooted as soon as i added C:\Dev-Cpp\bin; to path but the error is still the same...any mroe suggestions ?

you definitely have a config problem. Your path is wrong &/or dev c++ isnt installed correctly.

some of the following has already been suggested, but ill put it here for completeness anyway.

1st start up a cmd prompt box (click on start, then run & then type 'cmd' in the text box).

from the cmd prompt box:

You can test the path setting by just typing 'g++'. If the path is correct you will see something like:

g++: no input files

you can also try typing 'make', which should produce:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

If neither work, your path setting is definitely wrong.
If one works & not the other, you have a mixed up configuration.

You can try searching for "g++" and make sure that the folder that it is actually in is alos the folder in the path setting.

I have carried out both of those commands in command prompt, and they both produced what expected...

To keep things simple I will attempt to make another windows project and compile it on the root ("C:\"), I will post the makefile(*.win) and project file(*.dev) here.....

Project file...

[Project]
FileName=Project1.dev
Name=Project1
UnitCount=1
Type=0
Ver=1
ObjFiles=
Includes=
Libs=
PrivateResource=
ResourceIncludes=
MakeIncludes=
Compiler=
CppCompiler=
Linker=
IsCpp=1
Icon=
ExeOutput=
ObjectOutput=
OverrideOutput=0
OverrideOutputName=
HostApplication=
Folders=
CommandLine=
UseCustomMakefile=0
CustomMakefile=
IncludeVersionInfo=0
SupportXPThemes=0
CompilerSet=0
CompilerSettings=

[Unit1]
FileName=main.cpp
CompileCpp=1
Folder=
Compile=1
Link=1
Priority=1000
OverrideBuildCmd=0
BuildCmd=

[VersionInfo]
Major=0
Minor=1
Release=1
Build=1
LanguageID=1033
CharsetID=1252
CompanyName=
FileVersion=
FileDescription=Developed using the Dev-C++ IDE
InternalName=
LegalCopyright=
LegalTrademarks=
OriginalFilename=
ProductName=
ProductVersion=
AutoIncBuildNr=0

Makefile...

# Project: Project1
# Makefile created by Dev-C++ 4.9.9.2

CPP  = g++.exe
CC   = gcc.exe
WINDRES = windres.exe
RES  = 
OBJ  = main.o $(RES)
LINKOBJ  = main.o $(RES)
LIBS =  -L"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib" -mwindows  
INCS =  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" 
CXXINCS =  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/include"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" 
BIN  = Project1.exe
CXXFLAGS = $(CXXINCS)  
CFLAGS = $(INCS)  
RM = rm -f

.PHONY: all all-before all-after clean clean-custom

all: all-before Project1.exe all-after

clean: clean-custom
	${RM} $(OBJ) $(BIN)

$(BIN): $(OBJ)
	$(CPP) $(LINKOBJ) -o "Project1.exe" $(LIBS)

main.o: main.cpp
	$(CPP) -c main.cpp -o main.o $(CXXFLAGS)

As you can see this contains only the source file, and still produces the same error.

So is your main.cpp file in the same directoty as the .dev file and the make file?

Yes all of the files that have something to do with the project are stored in the same directory..source, resource, header, object, makefile, project, icons (this brand new project in C:\ only has a project file and source file and the makefile that is created..)

Do you have any idea about the problem or could you recommend me to try somewhere else please? I have tried on the IRC channel but the 2 people who ever replied didnt know and I did not get a solution ont he bloodshed forum...If not can you recommend any more free compilers that I could try to use?...Thanks for your help.

Ok, thanks a lot for all of your help on this...I will try something new, I will post back if I ever solve the problem..

Hi again...I have found out how to compile and link my program, I can only do it step by step using the command line but it works like that...however Im getting lots of error messages like these...

Main.o(.text+0x28d):Main.c: undefined reference to 'GetStockObject@4'
Main.o(.text+0x311):Main.c: undefined reference to 'GetOpenFilename@4'

Im sure I have had these before when actually using the IDE...but I cant remember how to correct them...do you know how ? (these functions are within libraries that require me only to include windows.h I think...which I have)

Hi again everyone, Im running into big trouble with my compiler Dev-C++, every time i compile any project, whether it is 1 im working on, or a completely fresh 1 I get the same error every single time, I have been on the bloodshed forums and IRC channel but Im not getting anywhere with it...I am interested in working with Windows Programming in C/C++ at the moment and every project I try to compile gives the same error...

C:\Dev-Cpp\Current_Project\Makefile.win [Build Error]  [main.o] Error 1

and this is my compile log

Building Makefile: "C:\Dev-Cpp\Current_Project\Makefile.win"
Executing  make...
make.exe -f "C:\Dev-Cpp\Current_Project\Makefile.win" all
g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ -c main.cpp -o main.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/include"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include"    -pg -g3

Execution terminated

I have tried many times re-installing the program aswell as re-configuring it and installing with fresh configurations etc...nothing seems to work, I get the same error over and over again...anyone know why or how to overcome it ?

I was getting this EXACT same error, and i fixed it by renaming my initial file from test to test.cpp (duuhh) and moving the project into a different folder Dev-Cpp\projects\

In my case it seems it was just the stupppid mistake of creating the new file and not renaming it properly.

cheers ;)

Hi again...I have found out how to compile and link my program, I can only do it step by step using the command line but it works like that...however Im getting lots of error messages like these...

Main.o(.text+0x28d):Main.c: undefined reference to 'GetStockObject@4'
Main.o(.text+0x311):Main.c: undefined reference to 'GetOpenFilename@4'

Im sure I have had these before when actually using the IDE...but I cant remember how to correct them...do you know how ? (these functions are within libraries that require me only to include windows.h I think...which I have)

I dont use dev-cpp, only MSVC++. Including windows.h is okay for compilation, but you should specifythe required libraries when you link them in the command prompt. For the MSVC I use something like cl main.cpp /link user32.lib gdi32.lib You would need to do something like that in dev-cpp also.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.