OK so I have a decent database that I have set up with all the correct tables and relationships, but now I have another issue, and that is distributing it. I don't know how to achieve what I am after.
I know how to install SQL Server Express during my setup, or shortly after through the command prompt and in silent mode. That's not my issue. The issue is, there needs to be a "Server" and a "Client" version of the application (preferably the same, with just a customizable connection string).
The problem I am having is how to import the database I made into my project so that this is a possibility.
I have no problems importing the database file into the project so that I can use the data source in the project, but the problem is:
1. The database only "mounts" when the application is running
2. The connection string is stored in the applications settings file, and is marked as application scope (which is a pain to edit, but yes, I know it's possible)
And there are some unknowns that I was hoping someone might be able to help me with:
1. If the application mounts the database on a sql instance that is discoverable and accepts remote connections, will that database be accessable on the network? If not, how can I make it accessable?
2. Is there a way to install a new instance of SQL server express and have that instance be discoverable and accept remote connections AND automatically mount my database on system start up?
3. If, during the "Add a data connection..." wizard in VS, I tell the wizard to not store the connection string in the settings file, where IS it stored then?
Please, I'm lost here. Please tell me I didn't waste days putting together a database schema that I can't use except on a local installation.