I don't exactly know how to explain this, but I'm trying to get 6 sentences from a webpage, to my java control panel thing. I've tried to use a snippet I found for twitter updates, and it works, except for the fact that I can't seperate them into new lines. this is what it looks like, Just an example..

i have cheese fries.I don't like cheese fries.I want cheese fries.Cheese fries are nasty.

so.. I tried to add the \n between each sentence but it doesn't do anything. so, I tried to add the html code <br />. this still didn't work.. How exactly do I get it to linebreak?

this is pretty much the void I used..

public void loadPages() {
                String loadTextOnPage = null;

final StringBuilder url = new StringBuilder();
		url.append("http://www.mypage.com/thispage.html");

InputStreamReader stream = null;
		BufferedReader reader = null;

try {
			stream = new InputStreamReader(new URL(url.toString()).openStream());
			reader = new BufferedReader(stream);
			String s;
			int c = 0;
			while ((s = reader.readLine()) != null) {
				final String a = "<text>", b = "</text>";
				int x = s.indexOf(a);
				if (x == -1) {
					continue;
				}
				x += a.length();
				final int y = s.indexOf(b, x);
				if (y == -1) {
					continue;
				}
				String msg = s.substring(x, y).trim();
                                loadTextOnPage =  msg;
			}
		} catch (final IOException ignored) {
		} finally {
			try {
				if (reader != null) {
					reader.close();
				}
				if (stream != null) {
					stream.close();
				}
			} catch (final IOException ignored) {
			}
		}
	}

I tried to make it load from an html file, and an xml file, and both had the same results.

Your code is clear on what it is doing, get a stream, find what is location of <text> and </text> and extract any text between them. There is no further processing. If you want to get some lines you need to either add logic to look for other tags inside this selection, or some other post processing

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.