Hi
I have a class which I have packed as a jar file.When I run the jar on its own the application executes as expected.I have got a JFrame(Main) which has a button which when clicked, fires off the jar. But the JasperViewer doesnt launch at the end unless the JFrame(Main)containing the button that has lauched the jar is closed.Please find the attached file.Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kalz

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

fires off the jar

Can you explain what "firing" a jar means?
A jar contains files that could include java class files one of which could have a main method.

Can you explain what "firing" a jar means?
A jar contains files that could include java class files one of which could have a main method.

Hi NormR1
Thanks for getting back.I have a batch file which has the command to run the jar. The DesktopFrame has a button which when clicked runs the batch file subsequently launching the jar.

the JasperViewer doesnt launch at the end unless the JFrame(Main)containing the button that has lauched the jar is closed

Have you tried other, non-java programs in the batch file to see if they will start while the java program that starts the batch file is still executing?

What does the comms.java program have to do with the problem?

Hi again
The other non java programs in the batch start properly.The comms.java is packed as the jar and it launches the jasper viewer at the end of the program.The jar, when launched on its own from the command line runs as expected. When I launch it from a Desktop App the Jasper Viewer doesnt launch until the Desktop App is closed.I guess it has to do something with the JFrame, but I am confused as to where its going wrong.

There are a lot of combinations to test.
What happens when you execute the batch file?
What happens if you change the batch file by replacing the jar with the jasper program with another program that simply shows a JFrame?
Test both as a standalone batchfile and from the other java program starting it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.