I am having problems figuring out how to get the results from the strings and then give myself the option to sort through them alphabetically (or numerically). I have the code to the point where it shows the input data but don't know where to go from there. I'm fairly new to java so I don't even know if I'm doing the first part right. I have looked in to sort options with Arrays but am not to sure how to use them (or if I have done it right to allow myself to use them). Any help would be appreciated. Below is a copy of my code.

The questions I am trying to solve is "Your program should then use a menu that allows the user to display, search and exit. Display should display the list of the entries, sorted by last name, first name, or birth-date as requested by the user. Search should search for a specific entry by a specific field (last name, first name or birth-date) as requested by the user."

import javax.swing.JOptionPane;
public class Program2

{
//Loop #    
    public static void main(String [] args)
    {
    int Runs;

do{
            String runQuestion = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Number of patients to enter in? (1-2)", "Total # Of Patients", JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE);

Runs = Integer.parseInt(runQuestion);

if( Runs < 1 || Runs > 2)
                {                                                                               //Small test numbers for now
                JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Please pick a number between 1 and 2", "Wrong Number Chosen", JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);
                }
            }

while(Runs < 1 || Runs > 2);
            Questions(Runs);
    }

//Data Gathering Questions      
    public static void Questions(int Runs)
    {   
    for(char index = 0;index < Runs;index ++)
        {
        //Questions     
        String firstName = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Patients First Name?", "First Name", JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE);
        String lastName = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Patients Last Name?", "Last Name", JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE);
        String dateBirth = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Patients Date of Birth?", "DOB", JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE);
        String firstSort = String firstName;

//Data Table print list
        System.out.println(firstName + " " + lastName + " " + dateBirth);
        }

}
}

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You can use a array and can use sorting algorithm(insertion sort,quick sort,etc) to sort.......

Your data has 3 distinct components (last name, first name, birth-date) for each patient, so a simple array isn't going to be enough here. In Java I would expect to see another class called Patient that contains these fields. Is there such a class somewhere in this exercise?

Your data has 3 distinct components (last name, first name, birth-date) for each patient, so a simple array isn't going to be enough here. In Java I would expect to see another class called Patient that contains these fields. Is there such a class somewhere in this exercise?

No there is not. How would I go about adding it so that my results can be sorted?

If you haven't covered that in your course already, the maybe your teacher had another solution in mind? This could be a good time to review your course notes so far...

Like I have said already I am not the best at understanding things in Java but once I can sort of visually see what's going on it makes sense to me. For the sort he said it was fine to do either 1 routine or 3. Not any specific guidelines on how the inputs are grouped together or how they are sorted as long as you can sort each one individually.

In real life you would group the inputs together in a little class, but like I said, if you haven't covered that in your course yet then there must be another way.
Just in case, here's the official beginners tutorial on classes - maybe that will seem familiar to you, but if not I wouldn't spend too much time on it.
http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/index.html

Maybe someone else has an idea of how to do this sensibly without a class? Come on guys!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.