Hello guyz,

First of all, sorry for starting new thread with similar topic but I read each and still can't figure out how to do it.

I'm having a database, using GridView I retrieve the data into my WEB application.
Then I set the rows to editable (not sure if it is fully completed) and when I edit some cells I want to update the GridView AND the database behind.
When I click on 'edit' then the button is changed to update - great but I get some unhandled exception. I don't expect anything else to happen since I didn't put any code in the update methods like RowCommand, RowUpdating, RowUpdated, RowDataBound. I'm really confused what goes there and what exactly do I need.

I'm using C# with Microsoft Visual Studio and MySQL database.

Please help if you can
Would be grateful.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Can you post your GridView Control Structure and the code you are using to bind the Grid?

Hey,
I jsut got it working today. It suddenly updated the gridview AND the database without giving me some exceptions and syntax errors as before.
But here it is anyway :)

<asp:Content ID="HeaderContent" runat="server" ContentPlaceHolderID="HeadContent">
</asp:Content>
<asp:Content ID="BodyContent" runat="server" ContentPlaceHolderID="MainContent">
    <h2>
        Table view</h2>
    <p>
        <asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1">
            <Columns>
                <asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" />
            </Columns>
        </asp:GridView>
        <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" 
            ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:dbcssConnectionString %>" 

ProviderName="<%$ ConnectionStrings:dbcssConnectionString.ProviderName %>" 
            SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM tableview" 
            UpdateCommand="UPDATE tableview SET Pad_No = @pad_no, Lift1 = @lift1, Lift2 = @lift2, Lift3 = @lift3, Task4 = @task4, Task5 = @task5, Task6 = @task6, Task7 = @task7, Task8 = @task8 WHERE row_No = @row_no">

<UpdateParameters>
                <asp:Parameter Name="Pad_No" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Lift1" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Lift2" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Lift3" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Task4" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Task5" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Task6" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Task7" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Task8" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="row_No" Type="Int32" />
            </UpdateParameters>
        </asp:SqlDataSource>
    </p>
        </asp:Content>

And then I have on line of code in the Default.aspx.cs file:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (!IsPostBack)
            {
               //not working without that one ?
            }
        }

No methods like RowUpdating, RowUpdated, RowEditing etc, etc.
Isn't that strange though ?

Very good!!!!, and yes when using SqlDataSource procedure such as update, select, delete, sort and paging is really easy to do, but you have less control over the GridView.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.