Hello, I'm trying to compile my client, For a video game. But I get this error

c:\drsource stuff\46022362clientlatest\clientlatest\filemgr.h(18) : error C2275: 'std::iterator' : illegal use of this type as an expression
{
  typedef map<int, T*>           hash;
  typedef map<int, int>          check;
  typedef map<int, T*>::iterator index;

And here is another one

c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\xutility(486) : see declaration of 'std::iterator'
struct iterator
			: public _Iterator_base

{	// base type for all iterator classes
	typedef _Category iterator_category;
	typedef _Ty value_type;
	typedef _Diff difference_type;
	typedef _Diff distance_type;	// retained
	typedef _Pointer pointer;
	typedef _Reference reference;
	};

template<class _Category,
	class _Ty,
	class _Diff = ptrdiff_t,
	class _Pointer = _Ty *,
	class _Reference = _Ty&,
	class _Base_class = _Iterator_base>
		struct _Iterator_with_base
			: public _Base_class
c:\drsource stuff\46022362clientlatest\clientlatest\filemgr.h(158) : see reference to class template instantiation 'TFileMgr<T,N>' being compiled
private:
  T*           m_pBuffer;
  check        m_mpCheck;
  hash         m_mpBank;
  int          m_nError;
  CHSEL_STREAM m_hsel;
};
c:\drsource stuff\46022362clientlatest\clientlatest\profiler.h(55) : warning C4244: 'return' : conversion from 'LONGLONG' to 'DWORD', possible loss of data
DWORD	GetCurrent(){ return m_n64CounterEnd.QuadPart-m_n64CounterStart.QuadPart; };

Without code blocks that start from line 1, it's hard to tell which line of your code has generated the error. That said, I'll take a stab at it.

Error #1. I'm not at all sure what it's complaining about.

Error #2. If you're specifying:

#include <someSTLheader>
using namespace std;

then iterator refers to std::iterator which is probably already included into your scope, and you're now trying to override it. There are a number of possible solutions, including (in no particular order)
limiting what you're "using" (rather than everything in the std:: namespace), not including a "using" statement at all (and prefixing std:: wherever needed), and/or using a fairly common idiom of using CamelCase for your own types and classes (or simply Capitalize them in the case of a single word -- "Iterator" is less likely to be defined within STL than "iterator").

Error #3. Try declaring your template as:

TFileMgr<T*,N>

but again, a bit more code might be helpful, especially the class constructor.

Error #4. The "QuadPart" member of the variable is presumably a LONGLONG type, therefore, the difference between two is also a LONGLONG. If you're sure the difference won't be that large, then explicitly cast the result to your return type, e.g.:

return (DWORD)(m_n64CounterEnd.QuadPart - m_n64CounterStart.QuadPart);

I'm sure others will contribute additional ideas!

Here is my output error log, If that helps with anything.

1>------ Build started: Project: dragon, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Build started 10/25/2011 2:37:28 PM.
1>InitializeBuildStatus:
1>  Touching ".\Debug\dragon.unsuccessfulbuild".
1>ClCompile:
1>  StdAfx.cpp
1>c:\users\kids only- including\desktop\client104\filemgr.h(14): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '<'
1>c:\users\kids only- including\desktop\client104\filemgr.h(14): error C2059: syntax error : '<'
1>c:\users\kids only- including\desktop\client104\filemgr.h(15): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
1>c:\users\kids only- including\desktop\client104\filemgr.h(15): error C2447: '{' : missing function header (old-style formal list?)
1>c:\users\kids only- including\desktop\client104\filemgr.h(207): error C2039: 'Load' : is not a member of 'TFileMgr<T,N>'
1>c:\users\kids only- including\desktop\client104\filemgr.h(254): error C2039: 'Load' : is not a member of 'TFileMgr<T,N>'
1>c:\users\kids only- including\desktop\client104\filemgr.h(271): error C2039: 'LoadFromClass' : is not a member of 'TFileMgr<T,N>'
1>c:\users\kids only- including\desktop\client104\filemgr.h(308): error C2039: 'Save' : is not a member of 'TFileMgr<T,N>'
1>c:\users\kids only- including\desktop\client104\filemgr.h(318): error C2039: 'Encode' : is not a member of 'TFileMgr<T,N>'
1>c:\users\kids only- including\desktop\client104\filemgr.h(324): error C2039: 'Decode' : is not a member of 'TFileMgr<T,N>'
1>c:\users\kids only- including\desktop\client104\profiler.h(55): warning C4244: 'return' : conversion from 'LONGLONG' to 'DWORD', possible loss of data
1>
1>Build FAILED.
1>
1>Time Elapsed 00:00:03.82
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Always good to address the first error first. Since I don't see anything obvious wrong at line 14 of filemgr.h, try removing the international character-set comment above it, and see if that fixes the one problem.

The rest of the errors are very likely a result of the problems around lines 14-15.

We've already discussed the warning from profiler.h, you can get rid of it easily enough, but it's also probably safe to ignore unless you expect those counter variables to get -very- far apart.

If so, there may be a way to tell Visual Studio what language(s) to accept in source-code files.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.