Hello ladies and gents,

Ive recently downloaded VC++ 2005 EE, but, would prefer to buy a version of this. Now, the problem is that there are so manny versions. Since I'm a hobbiest I was wondering wich of these two would suit me the best.

Visual Studio 2005 Express or Visual STudio 2005 Standard?
http://www.hcw.be/hcwcs/msdn.asp

What I want to do with it, once I have a descent understanding is to:

- create plug-Ins for a 3D app. called Lightwave.
- write small programs for windows with a variety on purposes.

Also, with one of those editions, is it possible to write code in C aswell, or do I need another IDE for that?

Thanks for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Since you want to spend your money, buy Pro edition. The Express is FREE -- you can't buy it.

Since you want to spend your money, buy Pro edition. The Express is FREE -- you can't buy it.

Hi AD,

Then why is it €54.90 for the Express Edition on the site I gave the link to? Is this just because you get a CD with a manual then?

Ive looked at the Pro Edition, that really is expensive, think the Standard Edition would do then.

The Express edition will be free for only about a year -- after that people will have to pay the $54 or so for it.

The express edition when you want it on CD costs money. Money to pay for making the CD, the box, etc., and for shipping it to the store.
Then the store will want some money for their effort.

I don't see a pro edition of Visual C++ 2005, only the Express and Standard versions.
So for the Pro version you're getting the entire Visual Studio (including C#, VB, J#). That's why the extra cost.
In addition to the standard version you're getting tools for developing Windows CE applications, remote debugging support, XSLT debugging, and "visual tools for Microsoft Office" (whatever that is).

All unrelated to C++ development unless you want to write for PDAs.

Ah, I see.
Thanks AD

So for the Pro version you're getting the entire Visual Studio (including C#, VB, J#). That's why the extra cost.
In addition to the standard version you're getting tools for developing Windows CE applications, remote debugging support, XSLT debugging, and "visual tools for Microsoft Office" (whatever that is).
All unrelated to C++ development unless you want to write for PDAs.

Thanks jwenting,
So, as a hobbiest, could I buy the Express Edition then and be sure I could use it for those things that I want to do.

- Write plug-ins for Lightwave?
- Make window programs?
- Write code in C instead of C++?

Or, would I be better of with buying the Standard Edition?

The Express edition together with the platform SDK will likely be enough to allow all that.

Personally I'm thinking seriously of buying the entire Visual Studio standard edition. It's cheap, and you get all the documentation (plus C# and stuff which I really want to experiment with).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.