while (???) //while int is being read
        {
            in_gradebook >> score;
            out_gradebook << score << " ";
            sum = sum + score;
        }
        average = sum / 10.0;
        out_gradebook << average << endl;

Here is a small snippet of the code I have trouble with.

My professor told me there's a way to end the loop when the input from in_gradebook is no longer type int, which I have no idea how to do. Basically, my loop goes on forever because the variable score gets the string FIRST_NAME_2 of the second line. What is a good way to end the loop when there are no more numbers to input?

The input file goes something like this:
FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
FIRST_NAME_2 LAST_NAME_2 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

As you can see I am only a beginner :$, I apologize beforehand if I do not understand replies that may be beyond my level.

use while(1) loop and inside the loop read one character at a time.
Break from the loop on getting something other that 0-9.
Handle the space explicitly.
If the numbers are multi-digit numbers you will have to use temp buffer to store the number till u get a space.

Comments
Terrible suggestion

Thank you for replying.

I understand what you are trying to say, but how do I start the loop at the numbers?
If I do in_gradebook.get(input_character), then I would have to get all the characters of the first and last name too right? Or does .get start where the last >> left off? Will check now, thank you.

I have found the solution:twisted:! I didn't follow your advice completely (couldn't figure out what temporary buffer is), but it definitely works now. I used...

stringstream score_list;

while (true)
        {
            in_gradebook.get(input_char);
            if (input_char == '\n')
            {
                while (score_list >> score)
                {
                out_gradebook << score << " ";
                sum = sum + score;
                }
                break;
            }
            score_list.put(input_char);
        }
        average = sum / 10.0;
        out_gradebook << average << endl;

Instead of checking if the char is a 0-9 I thought it's just simpler to put all the char in a string and stop when it finds '\n'. Then treat the string as an object and grab inputs from it using >>. It took me the whole day, but thanks for putting me on the right path good sir. Also, I'm sorry, I just realized I should have been posting in the C++ section.

*EDIT*
Just a final little question to be clear, after I use '>>' to grab the FIRST_NAME and LAST_NAME from the input file, does the '.get' start getting input characters after LAST_NAME has been grabbed? This has always puzzled me, whether '.get' keeps count of its position with relation to previous uses of '>>'. It would seem to make sense that it does, since the characters from FIRST_NAME and LAST_NAME would mess stuff up, but I would like to make sure of this.

while(true)
        {
        in_gradebook >> firstName >> lastName;
        if ( in_gradebook.eof() )
            break;   
        out_gradebook << firstName << " "<< lastName << " ";

/* Code from above snippet */
        }

Realistic input sample:
Price Betty 40 50 60 70 60 50 40 30 60 90 55
Good John 60 70 80 90 50 60 90 90 100 90 78

Edited 5 Years Ago by sushlet: n/a

Sorry for the downvote. I'll get it cleaned up. It was the double post that threw me.

The solution you came up with is far superior to the suggestion.

*EDIT*
Just a final little question to be clear, after I use '>>' to grab the FIRST_NAME and LAST_NAME from the input file, does the '.get' start getting input characters after LAST_NAME has been grabbed? This has always puzzled me, whether '.get' keeps count of its position with relation to previous uses of '>>'. It would seem to make sense that it does, since the characters from FIRST_NAME and LAST_NAME would mess stuff up, but I would like to make sure of this.

Output the value from the .get and see what you have. If you ever have a question like this, your best and fastest solution is test it yourself with a small test program.

Edited 5 Years Ago by WaltP: n/a

I see, thank you and I will keep your advice in mind good sir.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.