zack_falcon 0 Junior Poster in Training

I've designed a C# game that makes use of an Access .mdb database file to store variables.

The basic idea is that one of the players will 'host' a game, and the other player will join said game, by connecting to the database, reading and writing items into the database. The database is needed to pass variables to and fro the host and client, and both programs check the database regularly for new messages / variables (yes, yes, I couldn't get TCP/IP Remoting to work).

Now, there, the program works fine (mostly the client, since the host modifies only its local database), for as long as the client can find the database file. Currently, the connection string for the client is located in a .ini file, and for the program to work, it (or at least, the server) must be located in the Shared Documents of an XP machine, or the Public Documents of a Vista / 7 machine.

But then some questions occurred to me:

What if the client user places / installs it into another folder in the Shared / Public Documents? I suppose there's a code out there that could 'drill' into the Shared Documents folders to find the path for the database, share names included... is there?

What about installation? The installer default is always "C:\Program Files\GameName". Could it be set (or locked) to a specific folder into the Shared / Public Documents, by default? And is it even recommended to install it into a Shared Folder, what with problems such as Accidental Deletion?

Say, the default is "C:\Program Files\GameName". I could see that a set installation path will solve any connection issues, since every client will look in the same path of the other computer, and it won't matter if it's XP or Vista. Could "C:\Program Files\GameName" be accessible by a C# program over LAN, without any system modification? Are there any security (UAC?) issues?

Thanks in advanced to any and all who answers.

P.S. Details that people may find in handy: I'm using Visual Studio 2005. So is my School. I'm running .NET framework 2.0. So is my school, and unfortunately, I can't change that.