I am trying to do a priority queue with a custom type, but I keep getting this error

des.cpp:77: error: expected init-declarator before "eventQ"
des.cpp:77: error: expected `;' before "eventQ"

This happens in the following code

Program: This is a discrete event simulator designed to aid in the analysis
 * of particular scheduling algorithms for comparison of efficiency
 */

//the following macro generates a random number between A and B
#define RAND_RANGE(A,B) ( (A) + ((B)-(A))*(double)rand( ) / RAND_MAX )
#include <time.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <limits.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <sys/times.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/ipc.h>
#include <sys/msg.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <string>
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <vector>
#include <queue>

using namespace std;

enum evTyp { PARVL = 0, CPUEND = 1, IOEND = 2};

/*
   The strtTime is a random number generated by the RAND_RANGE for range 0-300
   The endTime is a random number generated by RAND_RANGE( for range 1-60
   When the CPUtime + IOtime become >= to the endTime, then after the next CPU burst event
   is logged, the process is ended
   The CPUtime effectively stores the time of a CPU burst determined by randCPU_Burst function
   The IOtime effectively stores the IO time that the process waited in the IOqueue
   IOqStrt is used for time it gets into the IO queue
*/

struct Evnt
{
    int pid;
    evTyp type;
    double strtTime;
    double endTime;
    double evTime;
    double CPUtime;
    double IOtime;
    double IOqStrt;
};

Evnt operator<(const Evnt& x, const Evnt& y)
{
    if(x.evTime < y.evTime)
    {
	return x;
    }
    return y;
}

template < 
class Type, 
class Container=vector<Type>,
class Compare=less<typename Container::value_type> 
	 >
class priority_queue

priority_queue<Evnt, vector<Evnt>,less<vector<Evnt>::value_type> > eventQ;

that last line of the code is line 77 where the error is occurring. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I thought maybe I was using a predefined name type when I had it called Event, but changing it to Evnt still didn't fix the trouble. I just dunno what is wrong with it, and this error explanation doesn't make sense to me.

Recommended Answers

The syntax problem is that you failed to terminate your forward declaration with a semicolon. But since you've already included <queue>, there's little point in a forward declaration anyway, and it'll cause you more problems. Remove this part and the code will compile:

template < 
class Type, …
Jump to Post

>So...that scares me horribly(I may have soiled myself...j/k)
Welcome to the standard library. :) Let's shrink it down a bit:

des.cpp:79:
    error: cannot convert `Evnt' to `bool'

What's around line 79 that suggests you're in any way using an Evnt object in boolean context?

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

The syntax problem is that you failed to terminate your forward declaration with a semicolon. But since you've already included <queue>, there's little point in a forward declaration anyway, and it'll cause you more problems. Remove this part and the code will compile:

template < 
class Type, 
	 >
class priority_queue

template < 
class Type, 
	 >
class priority_queue

Wooo! It did NOT like that. It threw up this when I took it out.

/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.4/../../../../include/c++/3.4.4/bits/stl_function.h: In member function `bool std::less<_Tp>::operator()(const _Tp&, const _Tp&) const [with _Tp = Evnt]':
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.4/../../../../include/c++/3.4.4/bits/stl_heap.h:279: instantiated from `void std::__adjust_heap(_RandomAccessIterator, _Distance, _Distance, _Tp, _Compare) [with _RandomAccessIterator = __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<Evnt*, std::vector<Evnt, std::allocator<Evnt> > >, _Distance = int, _Tp = Evnt, _Compare = std::less<Evnt>]'
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.4/../../../../include/c++/3.4.4/bits/stl_heap.h:404: instantiated from `void std::make_heap(_RandomAccessIterator, _RandomAccessIterator, _Compare) [with _RandomAccessIterator = __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<Evnt*, std::vector<Evnt, std::allocator<Evnt> > >, _Compare = std::less<Evnt>]'
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.4/../../../../include/c++/3.4.4/bits/stl_queue.h:369: instantiated from `std::priority_queue<_Tp, _Sequence, _Compare>::priority_queue(const _Compare&, const _Sequence&) [with _Tp = Evnt, _Sequence = std::vector<Evnt, std::allocator<Evnt> >, _Compare = std::less<Evnt>]'
des.cpp:79: instantiated from here
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.4/../../../../include/c++/3.4.4/bits/stl_function.h:227: error: cannot convert `Evnt' to `bool' in return
make: *** [des.o] Error 1

So...that scares me horribly(I may have soiled myself...j/k)....Any suggestions?

What's around line 79 that suggests you're in any way using an Evnt object in boolean context?

Line 79 is the declaration... It became 79 from 77 because i put two comments around the template delcaration.

priority_queue<Evnt,vector<Evnt>,less<vector<Evnt>::value_type>> eventQ;

No clue...

Line 79 is the declaration... It became 79 from 77 because i put two comments around the template delcaration.

priority_queue<Evnt,vector<Evnt>,less<vector<Evnt>::value_type>> eventQ;

No clue...

AHA! I figured it out. Apparently when you overload the < operator it has to return a bool...I didn't know this being new to C and all, so I changed the definition of the operator< and it compiles now....only hope it returns what I want it to return...

Thanks for your help. I salute you Narue!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.