Am developing a software for submission as project. As a part of it, am planning to create a Phonebook package. I created a database in access and i integrated it in VB.Net.

Information:
Database name : Contacts.accdb
DataTable : Contacts
Contents in table : First Name,Last Name, Phone, Address...
Platform : VB.NET in Visual Studio 2010

I integrated the access database in VB.NET using Data->Add new Data source and I successfully made it. Now I got a DataGridView. :) Now arises a question How to search a name in "First Name" Column? I just Googled to find row Filter. That appeared gr8 to me till I got a problem of adding new records. Once I applied Filter, I couldn't see the Addition of new records and I can't make selection process in DataGridView. Then I found that Filtering is not Searching. Any one to help me in searching the data in Dataview? I'll post my codes here:

Public Class Form1

Private Sub ContactsBindingNavigatorSaveItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ContactsBindingNavigatorSaveItem.Click
        Me.Validate()
        Me.ContactsBindingSource.EndEdit()
        Me.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.ContactsDataSet)

End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'ContactsDataSet.Contacts' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
        Me.ContactsTableAdapter.Fill(Me.ContactsDataSet.Contacts)

End Sub

Private Sub TextBox1_KeyUp(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs) Handles TextBox1.KeyUp

Dim dv As DataView = New DataView()
        dv.Table = ContactsDataSet.Contacts
        dv.RowFilter = "[First Name] Like '" & TextBox1.Text & "%'"
        ContactsDataGridView.DataSource = dv

End Sub

End Class

I have a textbox named "TextBox1", Binding navigator that is automatically generated on copying the DataGrid named "ContactsBindingNavigator" and DataGrid cotaining Contacts table named "ContactsDataGridView". Any one help me.. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

If ur not loading Millions of records into grid then you can write custom code to serach for perticular record in grid using loop.

i think u try this code on the text change event of the textbox1 and on the form load event also ,

Sub MySaleInvoiceList()
        On Error Resume Next
        Dim myQuery As String 'defining a string 
        If textbox1.Text <> "" Then 'here i m chking that is user try to search? 
            myQuery = "select SalesID,SalesDate from Sales where  salesid = " & Val(textbox1.Text)'if user try to search then this code will execute
        Else
            myQuery = "select SalesID,SalesDate from Sales "'else this query will run

End If

MyConn.Open()
        Dim dt As New DataTable 
        Dim MyCommand As New SqlCommand(myQuery, MyConn)
        Dim myDataAdapter As New SqlDataAdapter(myQuery, MyConn)
        myDataAdapter.Fill(dt)
       DataGridView1.DataSource = dt
        MyConn.Close()
    End Sub

Hope This Will Helps U

Best Regards

M.Waqas Aslam

@waqasaslammmeo Thanks For ur reply.. I used the following code:

Dim str As String = TextBox1.Text
        Try
            If Me.TextBox1.Text.Trim(" ") = " " Then
            Else
                For i As Integer = 0 To DictionaryDataGridView.Rows.Count - 1
                    For j As Integer = 0 To Me.DictionaryDataGridView.Rows(i).Cells.Count - 1
                        If DictionaryDataGridView.Item(j, i).Value.ToString().ToLower.StartsWith(str.ToLower) Then
                            DictionaryDataGridView.Rows(i).Selected = True
                            DictionaryDataGridView.CurrentCell = DictionaryDataGridView.Rows(i).Cells(j)
                            Exit Try
                        End If
                    Next
                Next i
            End If
        Catch abc As Exception
            MessageBox.Show("Sorry!")
        End Try

Excuse me but Can you show me How to Search with a button from the datagridview

commented: how to search in DataGridView using like operator. +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.