Hey there. I have a program that uses access, and everytime i go to install it for some one i have to keep my fingures crossed and hope they have office installed on their pc.

Is there a way to run my program without buying microsoft office? (using access database)

Tanx

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I had a look at this thread and it seems that you don't need entire Access suite installed just for using MS Access. You might want to try the links mentioned in the thread.

BTW, any reason you are stuck with Access? Is there any reason you can't use a pure Java database like H2 or HSQLDB or Derby?

[ODBC Flavored]
If you have the .accdb or just the .mdb, you only need the driver to be installed.
If you're on Windows, you can configure the DSN in the ODBCAdministrator.
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Odbc Administrator

Set up a DSN that points to the file in whatever directory.
If your code already references the database by a particular name, use that name as the DSN.

I had a look at this thread and it seems that you don't need entire Access suite installed just for using MS Access. You might want to try the links mentioned in the thread.

BTW, any reason you are stuck with Access? Is there any reason you can't use a pure Java database like H2 or HSQLDB or Derby?

ahhh okyyy, just that specific driver. Thank you!

[ODBC Flavored]
If you have the .accdb or just the .mdb, you only need the driver to be installed.
If you're on Windows, you can configure the DSN in the ODBCAdministrator.
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Odbc Administrator

Set up a DSN that points to the file in whatever directory.
If your code already references the database by a particular name, use that name as the DSN.

Thank you! i downloaded that driver from the microsoft website. And for fun i played around with the dsn in the ODBCAdmin. never knew you could do that!
Thanx again!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.