Hello again. So lately i've been learning java, and now i want to make a program but in this program i need to do something like in pascal record(i want to make an array, and in every element of this array i have a string and an int). I heared that in java is called class, but i can't find anywhere explained very clearly.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Something like this?

public class ComponentTest{

public static void main(String[] args){
        Component[] components = new Component[]{new Component("motherboard", 1234567),
                new Component("processor", 2345678), new Component("hard disk", 987654)};

for(Component c : components){
            c.print();
        }

}

private static class Component{
        private String name;
        private long serialNumber;

public Component(String name, long serialNumber){
            this.name = name;
            this.serialNumber = serialNumber;
        }

public void print(){
            System.out.println(name + " - " + serialNumber);
        }
    }
}

Classes are a way of representing objects in a program. The real world is made up of numerous things like tables, chairs, and couches. These objects have properties like height, width, and color. Classes allow you represent these objects by grouping variables together and developing methods to manipulate them in appropriate ways. I would suggest you check out this description for more information.

A very basic class to represent what you've described would look like this:

public class ExampleClass {

// These variables are the class'
	private String classString;
	private int classInt;

// This is the constructor for the class. You need to call it to create an instance of the class
	public ExampleClass(String yourString, int yourInt) {
		classString = yourString;
		classInt = yourInt;
	}

// These methods let you access the variables stored in the class
	public String getString() {
		return classString;
	}

public int getInt() {
		return classInt;
	}
}

This is by no means a complete explanation of classes nor a complete class, but hopefully it will help you get started!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.