Okay,

So I have an application which uses MSSQL server as datasource.
Is there anyways I can avoid using any database server and use a local file as datasource ?

If yes , what are options.

AND HOW ?

PS: this is very important guys. please help.

THANK YOU.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You could use an Access database or an Excel spreadsheet. There are connection strings available for both of these. Even CSV files as I recall.

commented: experienced..! +2

access seems to be a solution for this. Thanks Jim.

I have one more question.

I have seen "attachdbfile= xxx" parameter in a connection string when I was using MSSQL server.

what does it exactly do ?

It specifies the actual filename of the SQL database. I have never used this parameter. I specify the server name and database name and let SQL server figure out where the file is stored.

I was a SQL db Administrator (among many other rthings) before I retired, and there were a couple of times when I had to move our database files from one disk to another. Any applications that used the attachdb parameter to connect would have failed. None of them did. I can't think of any reason you would want to use it either.

Ohh that makes sense.!

I had a totally wrong assumption.

Thanks Jim.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.