Get an assembler, get a quickie tutorial, and get going. I think that NASM is the easiest to get started with:

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmTools/NASM/index.html

As always, if you have any questions, we'll be here. :) Once you get up and running, I'll be happy to show you how to interface with the C library so that you don't have to fiddle with those nasty interrupts or the Win32 API.

> "The Art of Assembly" is the legendary resource on this
When it comes to Randy's books, you have two choices: 16-bit DOS, or HLA. For obvious reasons, the 16-bit edition will hinder learning because it assumes an awkward system that's no longer in widespread use. The HLA edition is, in my opinion, a poor choice for learning assembly because it stuffs a small and beautiful language with a lot of unnecessary crap.

Sure, HLA does ease the transition from a higher level language to assembly, but what you save in confusion, you gain in time spent unlearning the high level stuff when you learn a "real" assembler that HLA tries to be an intermediary for.

It's a shame that the only modern and easily acquired beginner's text will lead you astray. :rolleyes:

However, after going on my HLA rant, Randy's website is a great resource because it acts not only as a selling platform for HLA, but also as a repository and portal to other assembly information. Rather than spend hours searching google, you can just browse his site to the same effect.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.