I've been programming in VB for a long time. I dabbled in C++ and C# for a while, I'm mostly involved in management right now and want to learn Assembly for a hobby. How can I get started???

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Get an assembler, get a quickie tutorial, and get going. I think that NASM is the easiest to get started with:

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmTools/NASM/index.html

As always, if you have any questions, we'll be here. :) Once you get up and running, I'll be happy to show you how to interface with the C library so that you don't have to fiddle with those nasty interrupts or the Win32 API.

> "The Art of Assembly" is the legendary resource on this
When it comes to Randy's books, you have two choices: 16-bit DOS, or HLA. For obvious reasons, the 16-bit edition will hinder learning because it assumes an awkward system that's no longer in widespread use. The HLA edition is, in my opinion, a poor choice for learning assembly because it stuffs a small and beautiful language with a lot of unnecessary crap.

Sure, HLA does ease the transition from a higher level language to assembly, but what you save in confusion, you gain in time spent unlearning the high level stuff when you learn a "real" assembler that HLA tries to be an intermediary for.

It's a shame that the only modern and easily acquired beginner's text will lead you astray. :rolleyes:

However, after going on my HLA rant, Randy's website is a great resource because it acts not only as a selling platform for HLA, but also as a repository and portal to other assembly information. Rather than spend hours searching google, you can just browse his site to the same effect.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.