I have a project for school where I am to create some form of security for an application, our brief was to basically to create and hide a text file in the applications program files (not all that secure really, but heh I don't write the briefs)

So I have created the code and form to check that a users security key is valid it all works perfectly in the debugger, it writes the file to the specified directory, however when I run the application on a computer (after deploying it with the correct directories being set up, it never creates the .txt file to write the information created during "Authentication" - I am really confused and I am not sure if this is part of the "problem" I am supposed to be solving for school, or whether this is just some crazy exception that has been thrown up. Can anyone offer any advice?

Recommended Answers

Do you write it to a SPECIFIC directory or are you using "current directory"?

Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

Do you write it to a SPECIFIC directory or are you using "current directory"?

to a specific directory which is also determined by the OS version using this code

ElseIf My.Computer.Info.OSFullName.Contains("7") Then
Dim AuthFile7 As String = "C:\Program Files (x86)\New College Nottingham\Desktop Timer\Documentation\Auth.txt"
                Dim oFile As System.IO.File
                Dim oWrite As System.IO.StreamWriter
                oWrite = IO.File.CreateText(AuthFile7)
                oWrite.Close()
                Dim objWriter As New System.IO.StreamWriter(AuthFile7)
                For x = 0 To 3
                    objWriter.WriteLine(Auth(x))
                Next
                objWriter.Close()
                Dim authfilehide As IO.FileInfo = My.Computer.FileSystem.GetFileInfo(AuthFile7)
                authfilehide.Attributes = IO.FileAttributes.Hidden

I have also noticed that the application does not read the file (if I place it there manually) but does read the file in VS2010 debugger.

If My.Computer.Info.OSFullName.Contains("XP") And IO.File.Exists(AuthFileXP) = False Then

authform.Show()
            Me.Close()

ElseIf My.Computer.Info.OSFullName.Contains("Vista") And IO.File.Exists(AuthFileVISTA) = False Then

authform.Show()
            Me.Close()

ElseIf My.Computer.Info.OSFullName.Contains("7") And IO.File.Exists(AuthFile7) = False Then
Dim AuthFile71 As String = "C:\Program Files (x86)\New College Nottingham\Desktop Timer\Documentation\Auth.txt"
            authform.Show()
            Me.Close()

End If
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.