hi there,
i have this server code that send the received message from one client to all the other clients, including the one how send the message

public class Chat extends Thread{
static LinkedList<PrintStream> sll;
Socket cs;
PrintStream ps;
    public Chat(Socket cs){
    this.cs=cs;
     try{
         ps=new PrintStream(cs.getOutputStream());
    sll.add(ps);
     this.start();
    }
    catch (Exception ex){ex.printStackTrace();}
    }

public void run(){
    try{ DataInputStream dis=new DataInputStream(cs.getInputStream());
while (true){
String s=dis.readLine();

for(PrintStream bps:sll) bps.println(s);

}
    }
    catch (Exception ex){

ex.printStackTrace();
        sll.remove(ps);}

}
    public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception{
 sll=new LinkedList<PrintStream>();
    ServerSocket ss=new ServerSocket(9000);

while(true)
    {
    Socket s=ss.accept();
    Chat cs=new Chat(s);

}

}
}

How to edit this code to make it send the received message to all clients except the one who send it??

thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If you know the client that sent the message and have a reference to it, then use that reference as you send the messages to the clients in the list to skip over the client that sent the message.

I assume that you have a list of connected clients and that there are references to each in the list and that you can save a reference to the client that sent the message.

what do you mean by a reference to the client who sent the message?

should i make another list of Socket and add client to it?

can you give more explanation please

When a client connects how do you keep track of that connection? I assume that you create a class to manage the connection. When you create that class with new, you get a variable that refers to the new instance of the class.
Save that reference in a list. In your code, cs is a reference to an instance of the Chat class. Save that in a list.

i already made another link list of Socket to save cs but i don't know how to deal with it so i can skip sending the message to its sender.

If you know who sent the message and have a reference to the Chat client that sent it, you can use that reference to skip over the entry in the list who's reference matches that of messages' sender.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.