I need to create a dynamic HTML form using PHP. I am only considering the following fields : Text, Text box, Radio, Check Box, Drop down.

I am thinking of the creating the following database design.

Field ID  |  Field Type |  --- Other Attributes, such as length and others --- | Values.

In the above table, the "Values" means the values for checkbox (or any form element with multiple values) in a comma separated type.

Example :

Table : Fields

Field ID  | Field title |  Field Type |  --- Other Attributes, such as length and others --- | Values.

1         | Name        | Text       |                                                       |
2         | Color       | Checkbox   |                                                       | Blue,Red,Pink
3         | Gender      | Radio      |                                                       | Male,Female

I could then query the above table and generate HTML accordingly, getting the values using explode function.

The other possible design that I could think off is :

Table : Fields

Field ID  | Field title |  Field Type |  --- Other Attributes, such as length and others --- 

1         | Name        | Text       |                                                       
2         | Color       | Checkbox   |                                                       
3         | Gender      | Radio      |                                                       

Table : Fields_options

Field ID | Value

2        | Blue
2        | Red
2        | Pink
3        | Male
3        | Female

I could then query the above database the generate the HTML accordingly.

In the first approach, I have the overhead of parsing the values and comma separating it. In the second approach, I have the overhead of the second query with a where clause. Which one would be better and why? Is there any better approach?

Posted in Perl by mistake... :(

I requirest moderators to move the thread to php... Sorry!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.