Hey Everyone,

I have run into a bit of a problem with regards to application startup...

I have written a C++ application with QT libraries that uses active QT to communicate with our ERP system in our business, the requirements are that any application we use needs to communicate its variables into this application by means of an argument list that uses unique splitters, and the application then checks the command (seperate argument) and handles the variables and inserts into XML to communicate them to the ERP

my issue is this, with larger argument lists (larger applications and more intricate functionality) the application take much longer to start up, functionality from the very first coding line to the finish is quick, as quick as I can possibly get it... but the startup is way too slow...

Is there anything I can do to speed up the startup? can this be caused by the large arguments? or could it be something else, I thought of dll loading as a possibility though I have tested running the application over a network and on the same machine (because to my knowledge dll loading takes even longer over a network) but I found exactly the same result

Thanking everyone in advance for the assistance

I'm not a pro in this domain, but I will tell you my opinion. Regardless the fact that the startup is really really slow, it may be due to the fact that your code must be improoved to handle large arguments. As you said, it happens only when dealing with large arguments, and when inputting small lists, it works fine. Have you checked for any memory leeks that would be unseed for small amounts of information? This may be also a reason for a slow startup when inputting large amounts. These memory leeks may seem harmless when dealing with "small lists" but when using a lot of things, it might get messy. You should check for that and get further information searching on Google.
Cheers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.