I am doing a sample program where it involves inserting data from textboxes and a Combox to SQL Server databse ...

private void btnAdd_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {

da.InsertCommand = new SqlCommand("INSERT INTO Member VALUES (@MemberID, @Name, @Surname, @IDNo, @Address, @Town, @TelNo, @MobNo, @Email)", c);

da.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@MemberID", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = textBox50.Text;
            da.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@Name", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = textBox49.Text;
            da.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@Surname", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = textBox48.Text;
            da.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@IDNo", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = textBox47.Text;
            da.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@Address", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = textBox46.Text;
            da.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@Town", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = comboBox1.SelectedItem;
            da.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@TelNo", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = textBox51.Text;
            da.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@MobNo", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = textBox52.Text;
            da.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@Email", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = textBox53.Text;

c.Open();
            da.InsertCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();             
            MessageBox.Show("Done");     

c.Close();

}

The problem is regarding the comboBox ! It is giving me this error when I am adding the data to the SQL Server :

Failed to convert parameter value from a DataRowView to a String.

in the server, the Town is declared as varchar(90) .

please help ! thanks :)

Add "ToString()" method on the end:

comboBox1.SelectedItem.ToString();

To add: SelectedItem for it self is an object type, but I need to have a string.
You could even Convert to string like:

Convert.ToString(comboBox1.SelectedItem);

Edited 4 Years Ago by Mitja Bonca: added some explanation

Hi, why do you wanna use selectedValue for Town field? There is actually no point, unless if you wanna get an id
of town. Else, use SelectedItem.
If you wanna get a value from comboBox - this means you defined display and value member and set datasouce for combobox.

To get a value you do:

DataRowView view = comboBox1.SelectedItem as DataRowView;
da.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@Town", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = int.Parse(view["columnName"].ToString());
//this is if you want to get an integer - an id column defined as value member.

If you wanna get only display member only do:
// .. Value = view["displayMemberColumnName"].ToString();

Hope it helps.
bye

ups, sorry, I forgot your ids are string (varchars), not integers.
Try to change this code to:

da.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@Town", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = view["ID_Town"].ToString();

NOTE: And make sure "ID_Town" is the corrent name of the value member of comboBox!!!

Edited 4 Years Ago by Mitja Bonca

and if my ids are int ?

I have my ID's are Incremented by 1 automatically (int) and I want to add them from my combobox to a new table in SQL server.

thanks

and if my ids are int ?

Then do:

da.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@Town", SqlDbType.Int).Value = int.Parse(view["ID_Town"].ToString());

thats it.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.