Can anybody help me out, show me where to look or a keyword or something? I'm trying to figure out how to write simple programs that can manipulate other programs. To keep it simple, and as a start, I'd like to be able to run the program to insert a pre-determined string into a field on the internet and (i.e. username and password) and then submit the form (press login). Can anybody send me in the direction of what this is called? Anything? Thank you very much. I'm also sorry if this is not the appropriate forum.. I plan to use Java to implement it so that was the only connection I could think of. Thank you very much in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

insert a pre-determined string into a field on the internet

If you are talking about an html page that you see in a brower, you need to look at HTML and the HTTP protocol to understand how forms are filled in and submitted to a server.

programs that can manipulate other programs.

Where are the programs that you want to manipulate? On the same PC as the java program you are going to write?

I am familiar with HTML and HTTP. However, I want to build a program that will simulate user input in the form of text (in a field), and a mouse click (to trigger the event/submit button). The program I build will open a browser and go to a url, or will be able to manipulate a page that is already up and will from there do those actions. Is there a term for this process? Or any common functions to do this sort of task? Thanks!

The program I build will open a browser and go to a url

Is your program going to do the HTTP requests and responses or do you think you can use a browser to do that? I don't know that a program can get any information from a browser.
I think the program has to handle the HTTP requests/responses itself.The browser won't be involved.

No the program will not do the HTTP requests. All I want to know is if I can make a program that will enter text into a browser window for me. I would open google, run the program, and some text would appear in the search bar. Then I would click search and it would search for the text that the program inserted. I know this is possible I'm just not sure what the idea is called.

make a program that will enter text into a browser window

The Robot class can move the cursor, press the Mouse's buttons and enter text.
However it is done using x,y locations on the screen. If the HTML fields shown in the browser are at a known location on the screen, then there shouldn't be a problem.

ok great! Thank you!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.