I have a Two Test classes that use variadic templates but I made the constructors explicit so that the compiler doesn't convert anything and leave everything as it was.

One class was Array and the other was called 2DArray. When I intialize 2DArray, the compiler was converting its arguments to the ones that Array was intialized with so explicit stopped this and now it strictly requires Array as the arguments. Example:

class TestClass   //Array of ints.
{
    void Insert(){};
    template<typename T, typename... Args>
    TestClass& Insert(T FirstInt, const Args... RemainingInts)
    {
        cout<<(FirstInt);
        Insert(RemainingInts...);
        return *this;
    }

public:
    explicit TestClass(){};
    TestClass(initializer_list<int> T)
    {
        initializer_list<int>::iterator it = T.begin();
        for (; it != T.end(); ++it)
            cout<<*it;
    }

explicit TestClass(T FirstInt, const Args... RemainingInts)
    {
        cout<<(FirstInt);
        Insert(RemainingInts...);
    }
    ~TestClass(){};
};

class TestArrayClass  //Array of array of ints.
{
    void Insert(){};
    TestArrayClass& Insert(T FirstArray, const Args... RemainingArrays)
    {
        cout<<(FirstArray);
        Insert(RemainingArrays...);
        return *this;
    }

public:
    explicit TestArrayClass(){};
    TestArrayClass(initializer_list<TestArrayClass> T)
    {
        initializer_list<TestArrayClass>::iterator it = T.begin();
        //Push_back all Values onto a vector<Test>
    }

explicit TestArrayClass(T FirstArray, const Args... RemainingArrays)
    {
        cout<<(FirstArray);
        Insert(RemainingArrays...);
    }
    ~TestArrayClass(){};
};

Now if I remove the constructor for the initializer_list, I cannot initialize the class like:

Test Foo = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} because it said Test from initializer_list would use explicit constructor and refused to compile. If I remove the explicit, then TestArray can be initialized like:

TestArrayClass FooArray = TestArrayClass(1, 2, 3, 4) instead of TestArrayClass(Test(1, 2, 3), Test(2, 4, 5)); Which I do not want but at the same time, it compiles perfectly fine without the explicit there when using the initialization list.

So why does this happen? I decided that to fix it I'd just provide a constructor with an initialization list as the parameters but I really don't see the need for that since it has Variadic templates :S What causes it to not compile/initialize when explicit is there? And is there any advantage to variadic templates vs. initializer_list besides being type safe? (I read that).

Oh and finally why does it allow initialization like: Test Foo{1, 2, 3} but not Test Foo = {1, 2, 3}??

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

So why does this happen?

If you try to call an explicit constructor with an implicit expression then obviously it's going to fail. That's what explicit means.

I do not see what is implicit about it? It's all integers and they are all of the same type.

Test Foo{1, 2, 3} but not Test Foo = {1, 2, 3}

With the above I might as well do Test Foo(1, 2, 3).

Mike's tutorial has:

int_vector v{1,2,3,4,5}; //construction syntax with {} enclosed lists.

int_vector v2 = {6,7,8,9,10};

Yet I cannot do the same :S

If my constructor is not explicit it works. If it is explicit it does not work unless I provide that extra constructor.

Test Foo{1, 2, 3} but not Test Foo = {1, 2, 3}

Those are not the same thing. The first is actually an alternative to the explicit Test Foo(1, 2, 3) while the second is an implicit expression similar to Test Foo = 123 (assuming you supported Test(int) as a non-explicit constructor).

And once again assuming that Test(int) is supported, you probably already know that Test Foo(123) is not the same as Test Foo = 123. The equals sign makes all the difference in your example.

Adding the curly brace alternative to C++ was a mistake, in my opinion.

commented: Ahh Thank you. Just needed that. +5
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.