Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a specific way or a library that allows me to read in an audio file in which I can then manipulate and get the different frequencies?

I'm basically trying to make an application that uses an FFT for the audio signals and then determine if the person on the voice clip is male or female.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

It entirely depends on the format of the file you wish to read.

For example a WAV file is store as a series of samples, no special library is required to read it just read the binary data.

On the other hand an mp3 file is encoded using the MPEG 2 standard. That is propriatory and even if there is a library to allow you to decode it you would like need to purchase a license to use it.

But then again if it is an ogg or flac file those are open source formats and you should be easily able to get a liobrary that you enable you to load the file.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.. I want to read in .wav files and from reading on the internet, will produce some values, do I need to implement an FFT in order to get the frequency of the .wave file?

Thanks

Not really sure what you are on about, apart what the letters stand for I know little of FFTs having forgotten all about them as soon as the need to know them disipated (about 5 pico-seconds after I left university).

A wav file does not have a frequency as such. It has a sample rate, is that what you mean? The sample rate should be in the file header. If you mean frequency(s) of the sound contain in the file then I have to say that audio analysis is something I have never done and I wouldn't really know where to start.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.