So I want to make a text-based game that has different maps, displayed in ASCII art-style. I've been tinkering with fstream, and I wrote up this code:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
#include <fstream>

int main()
{
    ifstream indata;
    int i;
    int j;
    int k;
    char grid[9][9];
    char letter;
    indata.open("grid.txt");
    indata >> letter;
    while(!indata.eof() )
    {
        grid[i][j] = letter;
        indata >> letter;
        i++;
        k++;
        if(k == 10)
        {
            k = 0;
            j++;
        }
    }
    for(int l; l < 10; l++)
    {
        cout << endl;
        for(int m; m < 10; m++)
            cout << grid[l][m];
    }
}

It should take the contents of the grid.txt file and map them to the grid array, and then display the grid array. I'm doing this to save me a couple hundred lines of code, because otherwise I would have to change each array element's value for each map. This way I can just write the ASCII map in a .txt file and then add it to an array.
This is where the problem comes in. When I run the program, it says "FileTests.exe has stopped working" (FileTests, of course, being the file name). Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or if there is a simpler solution to mapping an array from a file?

PS: I've included the contents of the grid.txt file, simply some characters and numbers to test the potential of this mapping solution:

ABCDEFGHIJ
KLMNOPQRST
UVWXYZ<>?!
ABCDEFGHIJ
KLMNOPQRST
UVWXYZ<>?!
ABCDEFGHIJ

Recommended Answers

You are doing it the hard way.
First, make the dimensions of grid large. This way you can have different size maps if you want them.

Read a line into the first row of grid[0]
Read the next line into grid[1]
etc.
Count the number of lines as you …

Jump to Post

All 4 Replies

First, make the dimensions of grid large. This way you can have different size maps if you want them.

etc.
Count the number of lines as you read them.

Then just output each row in a loop.

etc.
Count the number of lines as you read them.

Then just output each row in a loop.

How do I read a certain line of a file? I know that you can use .getline(), but I don't see any parameters that allow you to enter a specific line in the file.

You don't. You read the first line, then the second, then the third...

I thought you were reading a map. Why would you want only one line of the map?

I would read each individual line of the map file (maybe with a for loop), and then assign the line's contents to each grid array element. Mostly, I need a function to start reading at a certain point in the file.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.19 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.