I just completed one JAVA course. I used NetBeans. I ran into a friend recently who told me about Eclipse.

In my next class I had to write a program with a GUI application. Which IDE do you prefer? Why?

Contributors
Replies
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by stultuske

I use Eclipse, mainly because it was the obvious next step from Borland JBuilder which I was using when that expired many years ago. However, since then I have been constrained because IBM (the largest employer of Java developers in this part of the world) prefers SWT over Swing, so that requires Eclipse.
Apart from SWT I don't think it makes any difference - Eclipse vs Neteans. Stick with whatever you are used to.

I use JCreator (lightweight), Eclipse and/or SpringSource for web-applications and NetBeans for desktop applications and class libraries.

now, for Swing, it doesn't really matter, as long as you learn it the right way: don't go right away relying on a Swing editor to generate the code for you: that code is very crappy, hard to read and even harder to maintain, not to mention the worst factor: you'll know how to use the editor, but you 'll hardly (or not at all) have learned to write and understand the code.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.