Would be implementing a system which database is shared accross LAN nextweek.

Scenario:

All 5 units are of the same OS (Windows XP)

• 1 Server
  • 4 Client

Database is MSAccess 2007

• (but 2003 format in case of compatibility issues)

Now here's my checklist:

• Make sure all units are under the same workgroup (name)
  • Make sure the IP addresses belongs to the same network
  • Enable file sharing on all units
  • Make sure the folder where the database resides is shared

Database connection:

db.ConnectionString = "Data Source=" & App.Path & "\192.168.0.1\C:\Windows\Database.mdb"

Now my questions are:

• Is my database connection correct? (I'm planning to put the database in the Windows folder)
  • Can I use the Server unit Computer Name instead of its ip address?
  • Using the connection above, are the client units be able to save on the database even if the file/folder is hidden?
  • Am I missing some things?

Thanks.

Now my questions are: Is my database connection correct? (I'm planning to put the database in the Windows folder)

You are going to have multiple user access violation errors here. To keep it simple, just copy the database to the users c: folder, no violations here that I encountered in many apps over lan before.

Your connection -

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=\\192.168.0.10\YourServerPcNameHere\C:\myDatabase.mdb;User Id=admin;Password=;

I personally used the ip address, had no problems with data manipulation at all. From there on, it works exactly like the database was on your own pc...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.