I'm missing something obvious here I think

I'm trying to check for the existence of a file, and I hear this is possible with ifstream's .good property. Not even managing to get that far. Forgive me on this, I'm new to C++

Created a new VS console application.

I then added the relevant includes:

#include <iostream>
    #include <fstream>
    #include "stdafx.h"

After that, I tried an example I found on the web:

std::ifstream my_file("file.txt");

Adding this to my main. Rather than using namespace std; I decided to just reference it fully here as this is the only time I will use it.

Seems OK, but at compile time:

1>------ Build started: Project: TestingC++, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  TestingC++.cpp
1>c:\users\john\documents\code\c++\testingc++\testingc++\testingc++.cpp(3): warning C4627: '#include <iostream>': skipped when looking for precompiled header use
1>          Add directive to 'stdafx.h' or rebuild precompiled header
1>c:\users\john\documents\code\c++\testingc++\testingc++\testingc++.cpp(4): warning C4627: '#include <fstream>': skipped when looking for precompiled header use
1>          Add directive to 'stdafx.h' or rebuild precompiled header
1>c:\users\john\documents\code\c++\testingc++\testingc++\testingc++.cpp(10): error C2039: 'ifstream' : is not a member of 'std'
1>c:\users\john\documents\code\c++\testingc++\testingc++\testingc++.cpp(10): error C2065: 'ifstream' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\users\john\documents\code\c++\testingc++\testingc++\testingc++.cpp(10): error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'my_file'
1>c:\users\john\documents\code\c++\testingc++\testingc++\testingc++.cpp(10): error C3861: 'my_file': identifier not found
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I've looked up a few examples, but this is definitely a valid solution it would seem, and I don't want to use boost for this, so why does this throw an error?

Ideally, after a valid declaration of an ifstream, I'd like to use the .good() method to evaluate if the file exists.

thanks

Recommended Answers

The first include statement must be "stdafx.h" when using pre-compiled header

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
Jump to Post

All 3 Replies

The first include statement must be "stdafx.h" when using pre-compiled header

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>

You need to put #include "stdafx.h" at first and then include all other header files.

Where to find precompiled headers: if you will go to properties of your project -> Under "Configuration Properties" -> "C/C++" -> Precompiled Headers. You can see the stdafx.h specified over there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.