Hello I have this problem where my text file is not read in properly to the linked list. It spits out only zeroes. Here is the code I have written. Thanks.

include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

struct widget
    {
    double R;
    double S;
    int P;
    widget* next;
    };

widget* temp = new widget;
widget* head_ptr = temp;
void widger();
int main()
{
string line;
ifstream inFile("data.txt");
if(inFile.is_open()){
while (inFile.good())
{
getline (inFile, line);
inFile >> temp->R;
inFile >> temp->S;
inFile >> temp->P;
temp->next = new widget;
temp = temp->next;

cout<< setw(25)<< temp->R << endl;
cout<< setw(25)<< temp->S << endl;
cout<<setw(25) << temp->P << endl;
}
temp->next == NULL;

}

inFile.close();

return 0;
}
    void widger(widget* head_ptr)
    {
    widget* node = head_ptr;
    widget* temp = NULL;
    while(node->next != NULL)
    {
    if(node->R > node->next->R)
    {
    temp = node->next;
    node->next = temp->next;
    temp->next = node;
    }
    node = node->next;

}
    }

Recommended Answers

Is there a specific reason why want to use linked lists? A std::vector<Widget> would be a lot easier to use.

Jump to Post

You are moving the temp to temp next before and then trying to print temp's variables! That's why you're getting all garbage!

You should move line# 29 and 30 between line# 34 and 35.

But that's not the only problem!
You're reading off the first line using getline! The inFile …

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

Is there a specific reason why want to use linked lists? A std::vector<Widget> would be a lot easier to use.

You are moving the temp to temp next before and then trying to print temp's variables! That's why you're getting all garbage!

You should move line# 29 and 30 between line# 34 and 35.

But that's not the only problem!
You're reading off the first line using getline! The inFile >> temp->R etc. assignments are only assigning from 2nd line onwards, if at all there is a 2nd line!

Even if you remove the getline (which you should) your loop needs a check for EOF and when it happens it should break out. Otherwise, your code will fail for empty files and for a file with 2 lines it will print garbage for the 3rd iteration.
You should have something like if ( inFile.eof()) break; between line# 28 and 29.

And for all the above reasons its perhaps better to use a std::vector<Widget> as Nick suggested.

Thanks for the help. Makes a lot of sense. This is for a class assignment so I must use linked lists.

No luck yet still getting garbage.

share your modified code...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.