Hello everyone!

It has been quite sometime since I was on Daniweb, and a lot has changed.
Anyway, I have decided to "fix" my old Java school ISU and make it better. (I am not in school so don't worry, I'm not cheating.) Here is my problem: I want a bullet to fire when I press the space bar. Ok, I did that and it works. What I want now is when I release the space bar I want the bullet to stop but I need it to stop say after the bullet has traveled 5000 X coordinates. As soon as I release the space bar the bullet stops.

How can I "delay" the bullet being stopped?
Thanks,
Javanoob101

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by javanoob101

you could try a while loop that takes in a character from the user.

while((scan.next()).equals(" "))

i dont know if the .equals() would work, but you get the idea?

Unfortunatly I don't understand. (As my username suggests) I am not that good at programming. But, I will try to implement a while loop into it, I think we are on the right track though.

Thank you for your help, I'll post more later.
Javanoob101

that's the thing, I am using a keylistener. I want to know how to make the bullet travel for a bit then turn the value "blltFire = false". When blltFire = false, the bullet will stop animating and dissapear like I want, but it only travels as long as I hold the space bar down. I want it to shoot and move across the screen without holding down the space bar.

T-Dogg3030: I tied a while loop but it didn't really work out for me.

Thanks for the help so far,
Javanoob101

If a snippit of code will help, tell me what you need and I'll post some of the code for you. (I'm just not sure what to upload right now)

WHOA! BRAIN WAVE!!!!!
Ok, I got the code to work by itself! I made a nested if statment that when I press the space bar, the bullet fires and after the bullet's X coordinate reaches 850, bulltFire becomes false stopping the bullet.

After thinking about while loops and how keylisteners work I remembered that the bullet is triggered by a boolean which is set to "true" when the space bar is pressed. All I had to do is make it false after it moved via my new nested if statment.

I want to thank T-Dogg3030 and RockJake28 for their help on this. (I feel quite embarressed that I figured it out my self after asking for help.)

Thank-you though for your time,
Javanoob101

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.