Hi again everyone.
A really newby question coming up because I just don't know how to put this.
If I want some software which can be compiled as part of my application / project etc, something which has little or no reliance on external programs (all packed in as part of my program) then what is that called.
Is that what you call 'embedding' or 'integrated'?
Is there a special term for this kind of thing?

Thanks for all the help on my other questions.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Integrated Softwares :

Tightly interconnected suite of several application programs that share a common database and user interface. In integrated software (such as Adobe In Design, Microsoft Office, or Star Office) the output of one program (such as a spreadsheet or graphics program) can be readily imported into or embedded in another program

Embedded softwares :

Embedded software is computer software, written to control machines or devices that are not typically thought of as computers. It is typically specialized for the particular hardware that it runs on and has time and memory constraints.

Yours is probably Integrated software.

If I want some software which can be compiled as part of my application / project etc, something which has little or no reliance on external programs (all packed in as part of my program) then what is that called.

I'd call it standalone software, assuming you mean a complete program that's self-contained yet still hosted on an operating system. If the program itself acts as its own operating system then it would be either an operating system or an embedeed program, depending on whether the primary purpose is hosting other programs or simply bootstrapping itself, respectively.

Thanks np and decepticon.. that helps. All this terminology,, confuuusing..
That makes sense anyway so thanks so much for coming back..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.