My friend has challenged me to create a simple c++ program. I have had the last 3 weeks to work on it, half way through I have realised I am doing it wrong. The program is: Entering 10 random numbers into an array( the easy part ), then printing the array in ascending order WITHOUT sorting the array. I am absolutely lost on how to do this. Can anyone give me some help with this, maybe posting some code up and I can look at it then type my own out so I am learning in the process. I really want to prove my friend wrong :lol: Any comments would be much appreciated!

P.s I have only been doing c++ for the last 6 weeks and I love it so far, so please excuse me for sounding silly :)

Recommended Answers

Now why would you want to do that?

Jump to Post

Here's a hint:
Write a loop which determines the min and max values stored in the array.

Jump to Post

Well this is practically doing it all for you anyway, so what the hell.

Once you've done my previous suggestion, then do
for ( i = max ; i >= min ; i-- ) for ( j = 0 ; j < n ; j++ ) if ( a[j]==i …

Jump to Post

All 10 Replies

Now why would you want to do that?

Here's a hint:
Write a loop which determines the min and max values stored in the array.

http://faq.cprogramming.com/cgi-bin/smartfaq.cgi
see this link it 'll help u
u can type also ur Q there and ask about sorting.
i'm trying also 2 write the code for u.
i'll test it and send it later

Thanks man. That link is pretty useful but still not sure on what path I should be heading down. Any luck on the code you wrote? Even if its buggy, im still willing to work through it but im just not sure how I should go about it. Anychance you could post the code up? That would be hugely appreciated :)

Well this is practically doing it all for you anyway, so what the hell.

Once you've done my previous suggestion, then do
for ( i = max ; i >= min ; i-- ) for ( j = 0 ; j < n ; j++ ) if ( a[j]==i )....

Thats sorting the array isnt it?

No, sorting the array would re-order the elements in the array.

> Thats sorting the array isnt it?
No, just a hugely expensive way of printing them out in order - just like you asked.

Now put all that together and post your latest attempt at solving this problem.

Ahok I have just realised a huge mistake ive been making. I wasnt thinking about using any othe variables than the array, having a Min and Max variable makes the whole process more straight forward, I will post some code up once I have it working, cheers for the help :)

int i,max,min;
int arr[10];

max=0;
min=0;

for(i=0;i<10;i++)
{
if (arr>max)
max=arr;
}

for(i=0;i<10;i++)
{
if(arr<min)
min=arr;
}

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.