For example let's say we have the property called Customer that returns a value of name

String name; <== Global Variable

public String getName()
{
   return name;
}

public String setName(holdingName)
{
   name=holdingName;
}

and a constructor called Match

public FullName(String realName) 
{
    holdingName = realName;
}

Can I do what I have done up there? I know it does not work, but is there any way to make it work?
Please let me know if you need further information to get this question answered..

Thank you

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by stultuske

your question makes no sense. first of all, there are no global variables in Java. I assume you are talking about instance variables.
also: your code doesn't make sense.
In your constructor, you assign the value name to a non-existing variable holdingName. why? because that's the name of the parameter you use in setName?
you don't need the setter to set the value in a constructor. just put 'this.name = name;' and you're set.

what exactly is it that you mean, if this doesn't answer your question?

It is hard to understand what you mean, but I think I have it.
when you do this:

public String setName(holdingName)
{
   name=holdingName;
}

you want to set a global varible to a new value. Just use this like so

public String setName(String holdingName) {
    this.name = holdingName;
}

But would I be able to use it in the constructor? Because it won't allow me to do this.

m4trixSh4d0w: try and keep your answers logic -> there are NO global variables in Java.
xHellghostx: read my previous post. yes you can, but there is no reason to do so.

the variable name 'holdingName' is only known locally within your set-method, so that you can't use in your constructor.

next to the correction m4trixSh4d0w pointed out, you can do either this:

{
    this.name = realName; // NOT HOLDINGNAME, SINCE THIS VARIABLE DOESN'T EXIST IN THIS SCOPE
}

or you could use:

{
    setName(realName);
}

personally, I would go for the first option.

Votes + Comments
Yeah I figured it out last night.. This is the correct way to do it.. Thank you.

when you said: "Global" you meant: instance variable.
when you say "local to any point in the class", you are saying two very different things: local and any point in the class.

there are two kind of variables which are available "everywhere" in the class, being an instance variable and a static variable, but they 're not global variables, nor are they "local". a local variable is a variable declared within a method (or even within a loop) and is only known within that method (loop, ... )

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.