I'm doing a lesson that is supposed to demonstrate inheritance using the song Old MacDonald; there's an animal interface, a farm class that implements each animal object.. you get the idea. I've got two problems.
First,
The animal has a type and a sound, for example, a chick is

public class Chick implements Animal{
  private String myType;
  private String mySound;

Chick(){
    myType = "chick";
    mySound = "chick";
  }

public String getSound(){
    return mySound;
  }

public String getType(){
    return myType;
  }
}

I'm supposed to create a second constructor with a flag that says whether a chick is childish and returns the sound "cheep" or is adult and returns "cluck" so that there's an equal change of getSound() returning either. I have no idea how to do this. I considered adding a boolean to the constructor, but that won't work because the farm class can only create a new Chick(); I realize you're not just going to hand me an answer, but I don't even know where to start.

The other issue is that I'm supposed to create a NamedCow class that, as you probably guessed, gives the cow a name. I'm supposed to be able to add a named cow to an arraylist by typing

myFarm.add(new Cow("Elsie"));

. I can't just add a getName method to the cow class, namedCow has to be a new class. I figure okay, simple,

public class NamedCow extends Cow{
	private String myName;
	NamedCow(String name){
		myName = name;
	}
	public String getName(){
		return myName;
	}

}

Obviously that doesn't work. I really don't know what to do, and any help is greatly appreciated.

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by joankim

Why can't the farm class create a new Chick object with the syntax Chick(true) or Chick(false) depending on if it is young or old? And you can also add a randomizer if you wanted to, and add isYoung() and isOld() methods. And why can't you add that method to the Cow class? Also, why is Animal an interface -- a Chick should extend Animal, because a Chick is-a Animal. But can you post your complete code? I think it would clarify your questions. Because several suggestions you point out you say you can't do either b/c the Farm class won't allow it (which you didn't show us) or that you can't add a name to a Cow but i don't see why not. If you post your full code it should help us to see exactly what's going wrong.

lab: http://tinyurl.com/2g24jk9
As you can see, I'm given a set farm class, a set animal interface, and I need to make cow and chick do the above actions. I can't add to cow because the lab requires that I create a NamedCow class so that i have to implement a class that extends another, and I can't use a boolean because I'm givena final farm class. Thank you for your patience.
My complete code:

public interface Animal{
  public String getSound();
  public String getType();
}

cow

public class Cow implements Animal{
  private String myType;
  private String mySound;

Cow(){
    myType = "cow";
    mySound = "moo";
  }

return mySound;
  }

public String getType(){
    return myType;
  }
}

chick

public class Chick implements Animal{
  private String myType;
  private String mySound;

Chick(){
    myType = "chick";
    mySound = "chick";
  }
    return mySound;
  }

public String getType(){
    return myType;
  }
}

farm

import java.util.*;
public class Farm
{
   private ArrayList <Animal> myFarm;

public Farm() {
      myFarm = new ArrayList <Animal>();
      myFarm.add(new Cow());
      myFarm.add(new Chick());
      myFarm.add(new Pig());
      myFarm.add(new Cow("Elsie"));
   }

public void animalSounds(){
      Animal temp;
      for(int i = 0; i < myFarm.size(); i++){
         temp = myFarm.get(i);
         System.out.println(temp.getType() + " goes " + temp.getSound());
      }

NamedCow named = (NamedCow)myFarm.get(4);
      System.out.println(named.getName());
   }
}

Edited by cwpent: n/a

anyone?

Where you the one who wrote the Farm class?
I need to know this because, I need to understand what was given to you initially.

Also you could do this:

myFarm.add(new NamedCow("Elsie"));

Where you the one who wrote the Farm class?
I need to know this because, I need to understand what was given to you initially.

Also you could do this:

myFarm.add(new NamedCow("Elsie"));

The farm class was premade, i did not write it.

Hey. I guess I am a little late, but I had the same assignment and same problem, and I am sure people after me will too.
So, I couldn't figure out how to do the NamedCow part. But you dont have to. Just overload the constructor in Cow.java like this:

Cow(){
        myType = "Cow";
        mySound = "moo";
     }
     Cow(String name){
        myName = name;
        myType = "Cow";
        mySound = "moo";
     }

You will obviously have to change some other stuff, but the errors will be easy to fix from here.

Edited by joankim

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.