Hi everyone.

Well, I'm overwhelmed with the amount of C++ books out there and own a few now.

I'm specifically looking for a C++ Reference book which lists C++ STL libraries and functions like the orielly C++ pocket references on C++ or STL. Orielly's C++ in a Nutlshell looks pretty close to what I'm after but
I just wanted to know if anyone knows of a book they think is better than that. More information but still a reference rather than an instructor on how to program C++. I'm looking for something around the same size or
smaller than C++ in a nutshell in dimensions but if it's a little bigger then thats ok. Obviously more information means more pages.

Thanks for all the help you have all given me in the past too. I really really appreciate it.

... :)

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by mike_2000_17
Featured Replies

The best reference you can find in terms of details is [the standard](http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2011/n3242.pdf), but it takes time to learn how to read for maximum value. Read More

Thanks deceptikon. But at over 1100 pages I'm not sure it's a quick reference. Syntax seems to be the main hurdle with me which is what a quick reference provides. Great pdf though. I'll undoubtebly look at it.

Thanks.

But at over 1100 pages I'm not sure it's a quick reference.

C++ isn't a small language. Any reasonably complete reference, even a quick reference, will be fairly long compared to many other language references.

Edited by deceptikon

Hi deceptikon.. but in this case I am being realistic.
I just need something that references syntax and a short explanation for functions/libraries etc. What you provided is great but not really portable. I suppose the C++ in a Nutshell is just what I need here but I thought that with the extensive knowledge and experience out there someone might say that there is a better book that that.

However.. I appreciate your response. If anyone has a book which they believe is really good in the quick reference area then please feel free to contribute.

Thanks for the help so far. byee..:)

In for other replies. I've been using google and the standard for so long that I'm no longer familiar with the latest and greatest books.

What you provided is great but not really portable.

How is a digital version of the standard "not really portable"?

Edit: Take a look here.

Edited by mvmalderen

Just a quick reference. I don't always have access to the internet thats all. Sometimes I'm just coming up with an idea when I have no access to a computer. It's just a preference.
I just prefer books.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.