Hey everyone need help on a project im doing in c++, so far I have made a command interpreter, that breaks user input into array of Strings sepperated by spaces and have a run function. Now I am trying to do the list() and list(directory) but I'm not quite sure how to in c++. The python code for it is as follows:

os.path.exists(path) Returns true if path exists.

os.listdir(path) returns a python list of contents of directory.

os.getcwd() Returns the path of current directory.

I would just like the equivalent function that would work in c++, Thank you for any suggestions

Are you using *nix or MS-Windows, how to get the folder contents depends on the os you are using. I have written a code snippet for each. boost has library that is os independent. Which ever you use it will not be as simple as it was in python.

_getcwd() is a win32 api function. Not sure the replacement for *nix

There is no similar function to os.path.exists. Instead, you can call stat() to see if the path exists. stat() will return an error is no such path or file.

Edited 3 Years Ago by Ancient Dragon

_getcwd() is a win32 api function. Not sure the replacement for *nix

getcwd() in <unistd.h>. ;) For processing the contents of a directory, you'd probably end up using opendir(), readdir(), and closedir():

DIR *dir = opendir(".");

if (dir) {
    struct dirent *info;

while ((info = readdir(dir))) {
        cout << info->d_name << '\n';
    }

closedir(dir);
}

The Windows equivalent would use FindFirstFile(), FindNextFile(), and FindClose():

WIN32_FIND_DATA info;
HANDLE h = FindFirstFile(".", &info);

if (h != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {
    do {
        cout << info.cFileName << '\n';
    } while (FindNextFile(h, &info));

FindClose(h);
}

That information could be gleaned from AD's links, but the above boils it down to the core operations.

Edited 3 Years Ago by deceptikon

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.