I have a question.

Does anyone know of a way to scan an image into vb.net, and then save that image as a multipage tiff?

I would need a redistributable.

I have been looking for a library that will do this, but every one I have found does not meet my needs without costing $500 or more.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Contributors
Replies
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Begginnerdev
Featured Replies
  • The Windows Imaging Automation component might do it for you. [url]http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=18287[/url] [quote] The Windows Image Acquisition Automation Library v2.0 provides basic image acquisition and manipulation functionality to Visual Basic and Scripting applications. [/quote] Read More

• WIA is your best bet if your scanner drivers support it. Otherwise you will need to use TWAIN. There is a product called EZITWAIN which I have used at a client where WIA did not work. Read More

WIA is your best bet if your scanner drivers support it. Otherwise you will need to use TWAIN. There is a product called EZITWAIN which I have used at a client where WIA did not work.

Comments
Thanks for the input!

The WIAAL page said:

Windows Image Acquisition Automation Library v2.0 is only supported on Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed.

Is this an old article, or is it just Microsoft being....well....Microsoft?

Edited by Begginnerdev: n/a

Probably means "officially" supported. Try it anyway. If there is a problem then set your program to run in XP compatibility mode.

I am not having any luck with scanning multiple pages from the ADF. I have scoured the net from top to bottom looking for an article similar to what I am needing, but to no avail. It is starting to get frustrating.

So far I have this:

Dim CD As New WIA.CommonDialog
        For i = 0 To 1000
            Try
                F = CD.ShowAcquireImage(WiaDeviceType.ScannerDeviceType)
                F.SaveFile("C:\Users\***********\Desktop\" & DocumentNameTextBox.Text & ".tif")
            Catch ex As Exception
                If InStr(ex.Message, "Exception from HRESULT: 0x80210003") Then
                    Exit For
                Else
                    MsgBox(ex.Message)
                End If
            End Try
        Next

This works, but I don't need the select device prompt every time. I just want to select the ADF once, therefore, the ADF will be used to scan until the feeder is empty.

I have also tried numerous open source libraries that say they use the ADF but in reality they use the flatbed. -_-

I am beginning to get very discouraged about finding a solution that doesn't cost major cash.

Bump..

Anyone have any clue what I am doing wrong? I have scoured the internet all day for the last 4 day looking for a reference. Is it safe to assume it is a lost cause?

The only time I had to scan a large number of items was when I converted all my photo albums to digital. I just bit the bullet and got a scanner with a document feeder (and the software to drive it). I'm out of suggestions. Sorry.

Ah ha!

I have found the answer.

Import the wia library.

imports wia

'declare needed components.
dim dev as device
dim cd as commondialog

'use in form load or button click
dev = cd.showselectdevice(wiadevicetype.scannerdevicetype, false)

'This is the best part....MULTIPAGE TIFFS WITHOUT TROUBLE!
cd.showaquisitionwizard(dev)

'This will open the wizard with all functionality for the scanner.

Makes life MUCH easier.

Do you have any ideas on not prompting the color/gray scale prompt screen every time?

First, please start a new thread for help. Don't hijack dead threads.

Second,I had found an open source library from here.

I have modified it to allow the user to save last scanner/settings/savelocation.

Edited by Begginnerdev

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.