This might be (in fact I can probably say it is) a really dumb question but it's been doing my head in since I've been looking at it. First off, I've been looking at C++ for a short time and it's confusing to me more than what Java ever was. I have an assignment that involves C++ and one of the requirements from a .h file reads;

/**
     * Constructor that will build an initial screen to hold the
     * specified array of registers.
     */
    Screen(Register* registers, int numRegisters);

Now this is the dumb bit; I don't understand what it's asking to be done? The register .h file is basically a struct holding data such as strings, int's, etc. Could someone put this into layman's terms for me and point me in the right direction of what I would need to do? This is from main.cpp with said constructor in use;

int numRegisters = 5;
Register *registers = Setup::buildRegisters(numRegisters);

// Create the screen and add/set the registers

Screen screen(registers, numRegisters);

Apologies for wasting anyones time who reads this.

Edited by cppfml

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by deceptikon

It's hard to say without knowing the purpose of the Screen class. What is a "screen" in this context? The call to the constructor suggests one of two things:

1. The Screen object will take ownership of a pointer to the registers created by the caller:

Screen::Screen(Register* registers, int numRegisters)
         : _registers(registers), _numRegisters(numRegisters)
     { }

2. The Screen object will make a copy of the given "array" (many possible variations):

{
         _registers = new Register[numRegisters];

for (int i = 0; i < numRegisters; i++) {
             _registers[i] = registers[i];
         }
     }

Edited by deceptikon

The Screen class will basically be used to create statistics based on the struct in the Register.h file. The problem description is;

"Within a system, details of registrations are held within the shown Register structure. A significant number of registers occur each day. At the end of each day, a large array holding details of the registers is passed to a screening program that will provide some useful statistics."

And the Screen.cpp class has a number of functions such as averages of certain things, etc. Such as;

Screen.h
    /**
     * Functions that permit the registers stored within the screening class to
     * be modified. setRegisters will completely replace any existing
     * registers with those specified. addRegistess will add 
     * additional registers to those already specified.
     */
    void setRegisters(Register* registers, int numRegisters);
    void addRegistes(Register* registers, int numRegisters);

main.cpp
    screen.setRegisters(someRegisters, numRegisters);   
    screen.addRegistes(moreRegisters, numRegisters);

But looking at what you've done I was kind of thinking along the right lines only I was doing registers = new Register[numRegisters]; like in Java. I still haven't got my head around pointers which I think is the problem.

Edited by cppfml

I still haven't got my head around pointers which I think is the problem.

Every object reference you used in Java...was a pointer. The only differences are Java references don't use explicit dereferencing operators, and Java references are restricted in terms of things like pointer arithmetic. That may help you conceptually.

Edited by deceptikon

{
    Register* _registers(registers);
    int _numRegisters(numRegisters);
}

Just to double check, that's what you meant by your example right? So it's in a way like Java it would be similar to this.numRegisters = numRegisters on a constructor?

Just to double check, that's what you meant by your example right?

No, I used _registers and _numRegisters as names for data members in the class:

class Screen {
    Register* _registers;
    int _numRegisters;
public:
    Screen(Register* registers, int numRegisters);
};
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.