I am trying to send Data from text boxes in my windows form to specific cells in excel. I am forgetting to do something because i keep getting this error...

Error 1 'ExcelWorkbook1.ThisWorkbook' does not contain a definition for 'textBox1' and no extension method 'textBox1' accepting a first argument of type 'ExcelWorkbook1.ThisWorkbook' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

This is the code I am trying to use in ThisWorkbook.cs.....

public void WriteStringToCell (string formData)

Excel.Worksheet wks = this.ActiveSheet as Excel.Worksheet;
            wks.Range["F3"].Value2 = this.textBox1.Text;
            wks.Range["E8"].Value2 = this.textBox2.Text;
            wks.Range["F8"].Value2 = this.listBox1.Text; 

When i direct reference it right to excel like this...

wks.Range["F10"].Value2 = "Bla3";
            wks.Range["F11"].Value2 = "Bla3";
            wks.Range["F12"].Value2 = "Bla2";
            wks.Range["F13"].Value2 = "Bla3";

It Works Fine but obviously that's not what I'm looking to do. I need the data to go from the text boxes and list boxes on the windows form to excel.

This is what i have on the even handler for the button... (I want all data to be transferred with one button click)

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

Globals.ThisWorkbook.WriteStringToCell(this.textBox1.Text);
            this.Dispose();

I know this is wrong and i have no idea what needs to go in this event handler. I am very new to VSTO as I'm sure u know by reading this. After saying that I ask that your answer is very straight forward as i have searched forums for days not finding help.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I was wondering why you created an extra variable wks because your Form appears to have an ActiveSheet field already.
I also prefer to use the Cells object instead of the Range object, because you can easy loop through it if needed. Cells, is in fact also a Range object.
This is one of my methods (worksheet is a private field)

public void PutData(int row, int col, string data)
        {
            worksheet.Cells[row, col] = data;
        }

When it comes to Excel and C#, the only help I can offer is in Interop, as I have experience from using it. Not sure if this is what you are using, but I have provided pretty much all the code you'll need (you will have to add the reference "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel" to make this work). Maybe this is what you want to look into.

Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application excelApp = new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application(); 

excelApp.Visible = false; //prevents us from seeing the file open
excelApp.ScreenUpdating = false;
excelApp.DisplayAlerts = false;

Workbook excelFile = excelApp.Workbooks.Open(filePath, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing);
Worksheet excelSheet = (Worksheet) excelFile.Worksheets [1]; //'1' is Worksheet 1 in the file

excelSheel.Cells [1, 1] = "Some String"; 
//Note that this starts at index (1,1), unlike most arrays that would start at (0,0)

//Also if you to say specify a value based off for instance an array's length you need something like this
//excelSheet.Cells [(object) (arrayHeight + 1), 1] = "";
//note the use of "(object)"

excelFile.Close(true, Type.Missing, Type.Missing);

(warning, if your program crashes, or stops abruptly, you need to go to task manager then processes and close the EXCEL.exe, I was never able to figure out how to get around that)

Thank you for your response ddanbe
Im not sure i understand.How Do I reference each individual text box to cell, and what code do i put in the event handler for the button click

You should in essence follow the way to act proposed by AngelofD4rkness. I did the same :)
If you use Intellisence, you will notice that a worksheet type has a Cells property and a get_Range method. So if you want to use Range do something like this:

using Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel;

Range rng = null;

// in your Click event handler
 rng = worksheet.get_Range("A1", Type.Missing);
 rng.Value2 = "Mystring";

@AngelofD4rkness (and of course the OP)
If you change excel, in this case with a C# program, you have to take into account that Excel pulls up the "Do you want to save your changes?" dialog if you close it from C#. So the C# program first has to save the changes made in Excel, before closing Excel. I have the code somewhere, if I can find it I will post it. But seeiing your code, I think you can manage to give it a try yourself!

@ddanbe oh please provide us with that I'd love to see it.

However if I remember right, I thought that little bit by default would instinctly save on its own ... could be wrong though, it's been awhile since I used it

Also the error I talked about, the more I think about it, that MIGHT have been something else doing it on my end ... might have to look into that (unless this is the save think you were talking about, or related to it I should say)

@ AngelofD4rkness, have a look here. I think you may find what you need. Success!

@ddanbe Cool thanks, I'll make sure to add this to my C# collection (I have a collection of websites that teach certain features of C# well).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.