I am using a java program to read lines from csv and insert them into mysql database. Whenever i run my program i discovered i could not insert values into a date field insert mysql if the value comming from the file is null. However if i change the field to a varchar, it works fine. I want to maintain the field as a date field. Below is the snippet of my code.

queryString = "INSERT INTO account (MNE,DATE1,DATE2,LINK) values('"+data[0]+"','"+data[1]+"','"+data[2]+"','"+data[3]+"')";
  stmt=conn.createStatement();
   val = stmt.executeUpdate(queryString);

and below is the line to be written
TEE,29-11-12,,90681
BBB,29-11-12,,90681
CCC,29-11-12,,90681

below is the error message (i think it comes because the value for DATE2 is null).

712 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR main.ProcessInboxFileTask  - Failed to upload: C:\Users\Teejay\Documents\NetBeansProjects\NetBeans 6.9.1\TEEJAYD\all\GTUS.csv
com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlDataTruncation: Data truncation: Incorrect date value: '' for column 'DATE2' at row 1
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3591)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3525)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1986)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:2140)

Kindly assist.

Edited by twonjee2002: wrong spelling

Contributors
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jwenting

and that's why you should never construct an SQL query like that (or rather one of the reasons).
Use PreparedStatement instead.

Edited by jwenting

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.